Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in my previous post, my regulator went bad and I installed a new one.
After a local mechanic did a reading and me cleaning wires, I got the reading up to 13.94 no load and 13.65 with a load.
Unfortuanately, my alt meter is disconnected, so today I installed an AutoMeter brand Voltage guage.
Here is what I notice,
When I turn the key on, it goes to 12, when I start it it goes to 14, when I turn on the lights, radio, etc it drops to a little under 14.
Here is my concern
When I race the engine, it the dash lights flicker and the needle jumps to 15 and sometimes 16 for a few seconds and then drops back to 14. If I hold the accelerator to around 2200 rpms, the needle jumps back and forth between the 16 and 14. But when idling at 1000 rpms, it stays a constant 14
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Do yourself a favor and do as John Muha and I have done. Replace the mechanical regulator with a Wells unit, model VR-15, around 10 bucks at Auto Zone. What you are seeing is the mechanical contacts "cycling". Replaced mine a number of years ago and have had NO problems.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
580,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to Autozone today and bought the Wells VR715. I will install it over the weekend and let you know
Thanks again for the replies, most appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts