46 but feeling like 20 when i'm in my 70 SS 454
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wish I could use my A/C
Around here we just open the window if it's not raining

Check the selector cable on the air box?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
The air outlet selector is vacuum.

I WANT SOMEONE TO JUMP OUT THERE AND ANSWER THIS MAN'S QUESTION (I need to know also).

Rich,
I have exactly the same problem on the 70 conv. My son's 71 heat/ac system was TOTALLY removed, inspected, repaired or parts replaced with excellent used parts and his has this problem. A dear friend has a like new 72 Elky with this problem. I/we CANNOT figure out why the air comes out the heater when set on VENT. EVERY other position works like it should except VENT.

How many other people have this problem? Who has found a fix?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
337 Posts
It could be a bad vacuum switch.
I have kind a the same problem on my truck.
When you put it on DEF, it comes out through all the ducts. I havn't checked into it yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The problem is vacum.The door that closes permiting air to flow trough the dash vents is either 1:losing vacum,staying open or 2:the vacum solenoid is mal functioning.The only cable operation is temp changes.I found the vacuum leak on my 72 using a hand vacum pump.Autozone,Advance,Sears have then for around 20-25 $.I fixed leak and everything worked properly.Alsoo check vacum manifold located in the dash control assy.Hope this helps guys.

------------------
There is no replacement for displacement.
72 SS W/ls6,4-SPD. 68 Malibu 396,4-spd.

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Heat/AC control 1970 -72
There is a round valve on the heater control that has 9 vacuum ports on it (1 inlet and a port for each position). When you move the selector it opens or closes different ports. Because you can direct air thru the dash in AC mode then the diverter door and the hose to it are ok. Problem is in the vacuum switch. They will leak and not direct the vacuum to the proper door. Can you hear what sounds like a vacuum leak when in the vent position? Another possibility is that someone took all the hoses out of the retainer and has some of them in the wrong position. The vacuum hoses are in a harness like retainer so that they will only go on in the right position. If vent is the only position that is not working than check the vacuum switch. Now if you look on the bottom of the assembly there is another vac switch with 3 ports. This one controls the vacuum actuated coolant flow valve mounted on the passenger side inner fender, while the cable hooked to the same lever controls the temperature door. While we are here there are 3 electrical switches. The fan switch, the fan off/on switch and at the rear of the assembly is the compressor on/off switch.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 02-04-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are the vacuum lines color coded??
which one is for the vent position??