Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory A/C was taken out of my 70 Elky a while back by a previous owner and just left some remnants. There are two vacuum hoses that stick out to the left of the distributor and I am wondering if they are rubber hoses that run under the hood or are they metal ones. I saw in a book of El Caminos that metal hoses were used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Metal lines??? Must have been a custom job. The two hoses you see are apart of the 4 Seasons A/C/heater system. One originally when to the vacuum canister (coffee can looking thing) mounted on the evaporator box. This provided the vacuum to close/open the "trap doors" in the system. The other hose in the same grommet provided the vacuum to the hot water shut-off valve. This mounted in line with one of the heater hoses, when the a/c was switched to MAX, vacuum went thru this line to stop the coolant (via the shut-off valve) from circulating in the heater core. This made the A/C cooling more effecient.

If you have any more questions, let me know. My '70 Malibu has a nearly 95% factory original A/C system.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'll have to get the hoses/grommet from someone else because mine are cut. If your familiar with the wiring, what is the black with purple stripe wire for that comes out of the fan speed switch or main switch (I don't remember which)? The one on my car is melted so I had to disconnect it. I traced it and it just goes into the fuse box. I thought that maybe it was for the ignition buzzer (which never worked on my car).

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Shawn, I'll have to get back to you on that one...can't seem to find my wiring diagram booklet, and my dash is all reasembled

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Shawn, The key buzzer wire is at the horn relay. It is black with a pink stripe. It could be disconnected there or under the dash. It is part of the turn signal harness and I have seen many of them cut to stop the buzzer. I don't know what the black with purple stripe is.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.