Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never disassembled an air conditioning pump before, but if I'm not mistaken, there is a series of bearings inside the pulley assembly (I think that's my problem). Just recently, it started to make an awful squeal when I start it and when I just begin to accelerate. At idle, it makes a sort of annoying, repetitive scraping sound. I sprayed it (soaked it really) with high viscosity silicone spray and the squeal didn't subside any at all. Is there anything I can do besides replace the a/c pump (i.e. grease, lubricating spray, etc.)??? I'd like to avoid replacing it, but if I have to, how much do these things cost? I've never had to price 'em before.
BTW, 72 Chevelle 350/350TH 4bbl, original factory air. Thanx in advance!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
A few things to think about: timing issues causing "Ping" or a torched A/C clutch

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
You probably have a bad clutch. The entire clutch assembly pulls off the front of the compressor, but you need some special tools to do it. It is a pretty easy job with the right tools, might be worth paying someone to do it. The clutch is available seperately from the dealer, and from aftermarket sources.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Ok, I'll bite, how does timing destroy an A/C clutch???

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
If it should turn out to be the pulley bearing and not the clutch, it can be replaced. It is not hard to do, but if you have never done it, chances are that you will NOT figure it out plus, IT DOES REQUIRE 4 OR 5 SPECIAL TOOLS which the average shop WILL NOT have. You will only find the special tools at a shop that does a lot of ac work. I have a cousin that took over my uncle's garage when he retired, He had the tools and had to show me everything. Like I say, it's not hard, it's specialized. Just replacing the clutch requires 2 special tools. If the compressor is OK, but the clutch/bearing is bad, it's a lot cheaper to replace either rather than the compressor (if you can get the tools), and to replace the clutch/bearing does NOT require loosing any freon. If by chance you should have to replace the compressor, BUY A NEW one. Hell yes, they're expensive, but I've had too many rebuilts go bad. Also, the new Delco compressors have metric threads, so you will need to round up new metric bolts including one to attach the manifold on the back.

------------------

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,002 Posts
DZAUTO, Where do you get the new A-6's? How much? I'm tired of putting on a rebuilt one every summer and I'm starting to run low on Freon, I broke into my last 30lb jug last week. I've heard that there are new, metric A-6's available but I haven't seen any. Haven't really looked, I guess. You'd that in Phoenix I could buy a decent rebuilt A-6. Nope. Tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
77 Chevelle, take it to a shop. The damage you could do will cost more than a shop will charge you. Take it to a A/C shop, not a "we can fix anything" shadetree shop.

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Tom,
I got mine at an AC-Delco parts store. The threaded holes on the comp for mounting the brackets, and the hole at the rear between the ports are metric. Here in Okla City there is one good nut and bolt dealer (very complete inventory) where I get all my fasteners. So now I have a fresh, new compressor on the Cutlass and no problems. It was 2-3 times the price of a rebuilt one, but by the time I had replaced 2-3 rebuilts and put in freon, I could have been $$$ ahead with a new one to start with.

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
You didn't mention it so I will ask, did you check the belt? Off hand it sounds like it could be a belt symptom. If they get glazed once it can be hard to get them to work right again. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.