Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of repalcing the seals on my 72 Chevelle's A/C system and converting it to another refrigerant (probably 134a) I am having trouble getting the fittings loose that attach to the evaporator. I'm afraid to wrench too hard on them for fear that I will break tha evaporator coil itself and really cause some big problems. Can someone please give me some tips on getting these fittings loose w/o breaking anything? I have already tried penetrating oil to no avail.

Thanks

·
Gold Founding Member
63,787 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm not trying to remove the evaporator. I'm just wanting to replace the various o-rings before I add new refigerant. I am using big wrenches, ect. I just can't get the fittings to budge and I don't want to tear anything up. I'm just wondering how to get them apart.

thanks

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
You need two wrenches, one to turn the fitting and the other to hold the evaporator side. There should be a "hex fitting" on the evaporator side that you can put a wrench on. You will have to push/pull the wrenches in opposite directions to loosen it. It might help to have two people. Just be careful not to bend or break anything, cause if you do, you'll be upacreek!
And the longer the wrench the better. Good luck.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375

[This message has been edited by 1BadRat (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Here is a trick that has worked for me.Take a set of vice grips and adjust them to apply a little squeeze on the flats of the fitting nuts. Do this all three directions if you can. This will flex the nut a little bit which can break loose corrosion. Then use the proper tools to loosen them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JWAGNER,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to flex the nuts like you said with the vise grips to see if that doesn't help break the corrosion. I have been using the right tubing wrenches on these fittings they just won't break loose.. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.