Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The a/c in my '71 malibu is not working properly. The lines under the hood are icing up. I believe there is plenty of freon in the system. When I turn it on just a small amount of cold air comes out of the vents. I have found one vacuum actuated vent door on the passanger side. Is there another door that may not be opening? Any other insight??????

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
Dennis,
Since you say that the air is cold, then it would seem that in fact the ac system is working. So, as you suspect, it probably is an air flow problem. Now I'm going to make you unhappy. Yes, there are other vacuum actuaters, and to get to all of them, you will probably need to remove the heat/ac plenum box from under the dash. It can be done, it's a [email protected]$#! And, once you get this removed, you will discover that there is (or was) foam seals in some of the plastic duct work. You can go to a NAPA store or somewhere and buy adhesive backed foam in rolls of different widths to use for resealing these joints. After you check out/replace any vacuum pods and/or vacuum lines, and before you replace the dash pad, use a good quality duct tape or some of the adhesive foam to seal around the duct joints. There will be several places for air to leak out before it gets to the vent outlets. Also, once you get the ac/heater box removed, you will have access to the evaporator coils. They may need a good cleaning so that airflow is increased. This is a no-fun, all day, do it right, once in a lifetime job. I have done it 3 times, and no, I don't want to come help you. this is close enough. Probablly the reason your lines are freezing up is because there is insufficient airflow over the evaporator coils. And you have to improve the airflow.
One thing I forgot. On one of the doors inside, there is a white plastic bracket (lack of better discription) that an actuator is connected to for opening/closing the door. After all these years, the plastic gets brittle and breaks and no longer allows the door to function properly. I jerry rigged a repair by using tin snips and cutting a thin metal strip to go over this piece of plastic and attached it with the existing screws. Perfect repair.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 06-11-99).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.