Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing A/C from a 66 into my 67 Chevelle. I have all of the parts that attach to the firewall (inside and out) installed with no problems. What do I need to change, if anything on the front end. The car has a 283. Will the condenser fit without changing anything up front (water pump, fan etc.)? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,008 Posts
tootallcarl

condensor goes in front of the radiator, doesn't affect anything with belts, etc.

You'll need a good fan shroud next summer.
If you have a fan clutch, make sure it's good
If you're using the early-type factory compressor mount on the passenger side, be prepared that the brackets often don't line up with each other very good. Don't tighten up any of the bolts until it's all on there. I had to do a little grinding on the bracket that attaches to the water pump, the pump didn't have enough clearance around the bolt holes for the bracket. There's other stuff, drop me a line if you need pointers. I've installed factory air on a lot of Chevelles and Camaros.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
tootallcarl, I assume you know that you will need the correct waterpump and crank pulleys (2 grooves) in order to run the compressor.
Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
You probably have all the double groove pulleys you need from the other vehicle. RPO C60 (CAC) would have come with heavier duty springs than the standard suspension, obviously due to the additional weight. Also, you would have had a shroud and a clutch fan. The suspension would be the same as the optional F40 and the clutch fan the same as the (I think) K24 heavy duty fan.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
You will also need eater the right inner fender from the 66 or just the hose grommet and drill two 2" holes (dimples mark center) along with 4 .122" holes (dimples) to accommodate the grommet. Two more hole .469" to .479" (dimples) for mounting the receiver/dryer. Note: Special nuts were attached to the inner fender at the factory for mounting the rec./dryer so drill smaller holes And don't forget to upgrade to a 60 Amp alternator. One more thing the radiator support had special nuts attached for mounting the condenser . I held the condenser and mounting brackets in position then use self drilling sheet metal screws to attach. Its hard to place nuts when using nut and bolt. Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 03-01-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Elree, I think you mean the right (or passenger side) inner fender.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.