Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my 69 a/c hoses I see that both high and low pressure hoses are hose clamped with a special a/c hose clamp were they like that from the fact .I was told if I go to freon substitute that it is a higher pressure and i may have a problem . Are these hoses available Thanks Mike

·
Gold Founding Member
63,397 Posts
If your hoses don't have pin holes in them (like mine had) you should be able to use them with any of the new replacement refrigerants. There is a lot of differences in opions on this subject. Some of the pros say you need to change the hoses, not because of higher pressures but because the molocules of R-134 being smaller they can pass through the old hoses. I have heard many say they have converted over with no problems though.
There is an A/C tech board where you can go and get answers at; www.aircondition.com/

I looked for hoses fo my 69 for about three years, even bought a couple of sets
at swap meets only to find out later they were the wrong ones. One of the guys in the IRC #chevelle chat room sent me a pair. I took them to a Carquest auto parts
and had the hoses replaced.
They used the old original metal ends and crimped on new hoses for 75.00.
The new hoses are good for the newer R-134 refrigerant if I ever want to change it
over but I put the R-12 back in it anyway. The air-conditioning has been working great
for two summers now.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
M.A.C.C. # 001
macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 11-23-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.