Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the hot weather is here, and I am trying to decide what I should do about the A/C in my Chevelle;

1970 Malibu, the car is NOT stock, and no desire (except cost) to keep it stock looking... its a small block with Factory A/C, drivers-side compressor mount and big "suitcase" on the firewall. Since I have the vents in the dash, I'd prefer to keep those functional...

#1 Goal, is the best functioning A/C system (for about $1200 budget) I'd like something that cools really well, similar to a newer car...

The A/C blows cool (I haven't tried it on a really hot day), but doesn't seem to move alot of air. 3 speeds on the fan, but I can't really feel it blowing on my face, even on high (comparing to a newer car)... The hoses are all hooked up and I didn't see holes anywhere...

The previous owner told me there was a leak in the system, and the receiver/Dryer and something else should probably be replaced when I got it serviced. I have had the car for 15 months, and it still seems to blow cool...

Should I;

1) Have the system recharged with R12, and replace the R/D and other stuff (POA?)?

2) also upgrade to a bigger condensor? different Compressor?

3) Convert it to 134? With other "upgrades" (like condensor/compressor, not just stuff required for 134)?

4) Rip the whole system out and add Vintage or Classic Air system?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Im in the same situation as you are. I replaced the stock A6 compressor with a newer Sanden 508, and after marketbrackets. I got a newer style condensor, and plan to have the hoses made in thenext week. The system has been bone dry for many many many (a lot of) years. I am planning to use 134, and will be upgrading all my 0-rings with the green 134 seals as well. If it doesnt work out, Ill be swapping back to R12. My system doesnt blow real hard either, I can feel it slightly but no where near a new car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts