Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a shop diagnose my a/c after I got my engine together and I was told my compressor leaks at the front seal. He said that this particular design needs to be run regularly to maintain this seal. Mine has not been operational (no freon but worked) for up to two years, and has been apart for the engine/tranny rebuild for 5 months. Does this diagnosis sound legit, or is this dude trying to swing a compressor changeout on me.
If this is accurate, can anyone recommend somewhere (maybe mail-order) I can get a new compressor for a 74'velle at a decent price (less than the $390 he quoted me)?????
Help....

------------------
jack
Ft.Lauderdale, FL
gold #163

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
This is true, you need to ocassionally run the ac in the off season to keep the seal lubed. If you don't, you run the risk of having the problem you have now.

If you can get a friend at a garage or parts store to allow you to buy at their discount, you may be able to get a NEW compressor for about $300. DO NOT, DO NOT BUY A REBUILT! And the new ones come with metric threads, so you will need to round up metric bolts.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Your problem is not uncommon.
I've got a rebuilt compressor in my 70 SS 396. It's been in for over two year's and no problem's yet( knock on wood )
. I got mine from a local part's house. DZ, what's your problem with rebuild's?

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
Narti,
Not always, but frequently, they just don't last. A rebuilt A6 will be $150-200. A new one about $300. A rebuilt usually has a 1yr warranty. I have seen them last 1yr 10days. Consequently, I have become very skeptical. This is one of the very, very few things I will not buy rebuilt.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.