Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cleaning the engine campartment the other day and noticed the fron of the a/c pulley/clutch hub had a buildup...so i sprayed it with gunk degreaser, let it sit then hosed it off...
now its about 1 week later and i am now hearing bearing noise that i ahve isolated to the compressor with the old long screwdriver to the ear trick..

did i get degreaser into a bearing which is now rrunning dry? or is this a coincidence that the bearing just happend to go after cleaning the area??

can the bearing be replaced?
is there a bearing in the clutch itself or is there only one in the front of the compressor?

am i better off replacing a clutch bearing (if there is such a beast ) or the whole clutch? will i have to break open the freon system to do it??

if it is the front bearing in the compressor , can this be replaced?

any suggestions on diagnosis and repair??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
70 SS 454, That bearing used to be available, but I don't know anymore. If you have a parts store that you use a lot, ask the counterman to look it up for you to see. There is only one bearing in the front, but you have to take the clutch off to get to it and it may or may not cause a freon loss because the procedure escapes me right now. There are special tools that are used to take it apart, maybe someone else can give you more help. You probably finished what time started.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IF the noise goes away when the compressor is engaged it is probably a noisy clutch bearing. Can be pulled off and replaced or repaired without getting into the sealed system. Might just run it a while and see if it quiets down by itself. Probably won't but you never know. Carry a sharp knife just in case it locks up. tom

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tom... are you sure that the bearing shouldnt be running when the compressor is on??? i am assuming it runs when the compressor is on or off...

i hear the noise when the compressor is OFF so that excludes the compressor bearings...
but i also hear it when the compressor is on..so i am assuming that the clutch bearing must turn with the compressor ON or OFF..
is that correct???

and the noise is localized to the compressor as stated above

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
The bearing is commonly availible and you will not lose freon when you change it. The buildup is common. It is the front seal weeping. If you always have to add freon then it might be leaking to much. The bearing will turn all the time regardless if the compressor is on or off. The type that quits turning when you engage the clutch is the york type square comp. found on ford and aftermarket. You do need some special tools and experiance to do this repair.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks mike thats waht i thought...i got a buddy who has the tools and we are gonna change it monday ofter work...
are all the bearings the same or is there a best bearing to ask for??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you go to your local discount house,the only bearing they may have is a cheap import. Try to stay away from those. Some imports are O.K. like Koyo or Nachi. Go to an Independent parts house and try to get a BCA or Timken. Or try a bearing supply house.

[This message has been edited by Mike Sadoian (edited 11-27-99).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rich ,, dont worry about your cleaning as the problem for bearing failure ,, the bearing is a sealed bearing so it was just its time to go bad ,, when useing speacial tools to remove and install pully bearing assembly and clutch {note: only one bearing ,, no seperate clutch bearing ) make sure you adjust the clearance of gap between clutch and plate with feeler gaudge ,, check specs but I believe its .15 or .20 thousands

[This message has been edited by catman (edited 11-27-99).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.