Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something in the December issue of PHR (I think) about the 350/330 crate motor.

It said that this particular engine didn't have a mechanical fuel pump eccentric?! Anyone else hear of this or know whether or not it's true?! I'd like to know and I REALLY don't want to pull the cam to find out.

I bouught the motor in July, and it's in my 68 El Camino...

TIA!

------------------
--Amanda :)

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

"Sometimes the only reason to get out of bed in the morning is to wear a new shirt."

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
Is the fuel pump working? if so there is nothing to worry about. Philip

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Does it have a place to mount a fuel pump, if not, question answered!!

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
64--

Should've mentioned this...<Doh!> The car's on the west coast, I'm on the east coast until next Friday. I read the article last night and I'm trying to figure everything out ahead of time so I can go home and basically start the thing right up.

So, I have no idea of the fuel pump is working (it's worked in a previous motor).

Thanks!

------------------

"Sometimes the only reason to get out of bed in the morning is to wear a new shirt."

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
Like Leo said, if there is a place to bolt on the fuel pump there should be a lobe on the cam to run it. Sorry for assuming it was running. An easy check is to put the fuel pump push rod in the block and while holding it up against the cam, turn the motor and feel if it moves up and down.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Member #42 GOLD
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some newer blocks, have the fuel blocked off, because the FI uses electric pumps. The mounts for the plate is there but you cannot put a rod in it. That was only on a couple of the vortech blocks that I know of. I have one at home and the guy said it came out of a 94 IROC or something.

------------------
383 69 Chevelle
Citrus Heights, CA
http://www.x86Racing.com (Daves Pics)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
SMALL BLOCK 350
SERVICE PARTS LIST
12486041/330HP

24502476 CAMSHAFT, HYD(FLAT)
14094069 COVER,FUEL PUMP OPENING 12560223 GASKET, FUEL PUMP PLATE 9442963 BOLT, FUEL PUMP PLATE-UPPER 9440033 BOLT,FUEL PUMP PLATE-LOWER

Ok Amanda I thought I'd ease your mind so I did a little searching. And according to what the GM Perfarmance Catalog has to say this motor is set up for a mechanical fuel pump. And seeing as how the motor was shipped with a fuel pump plate with matching hardware as listed in the parts list. As long as you installed a fuel pump rod in the block before installing the fuel pump you should be fine.

later
J.J.

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Amanda, I know you are here in the east, I thought you might be able to call someone to check for you.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx everyone for allaying my fears!

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.