Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 33 years I have owned my car, it has never had a functioning backup light system because one of the previous owners took out the original THM 350 and install a 1979 T10 four speed and eliminated the backdrive linkage to trigger the switch. The rest of the system was intact and functioning, so this winter during my annual maintenance and upgrade blitz, I decided to get the system working again. Like most people, I was just going to buy the Hurst switch and make a better bracket than the crappy one they sell, but I was dubious of how well that switch was sealed against the weather, and very unimpressed with the price, so I started looking around for a better option. What I found was Cole Hersee part number 91105, which according to the catalog was originally supplied as an AMC part. Not only is it fully sealed against the weather, I was able to get it from my local electric shop for less than half the price of the Hurst unit.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Machine

· Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Nice installation. I used the hurst switch and just strengthened the bracket

Attachments

Reactions: mark f

· Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Looks more factory than the screw terminals of the hurst. Probably will surviver better as well. One thing AMC did well was play the supplier parts bin rather than design their own. Probably couldn't afford any other path.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cole Hersee makes some quality parts.
Yes they do. There are several different CH parts on my car including my battery kill switch, my accessory power buss bars, some toggle switches. and now my backup light switch. One of the great things about working for 35 years in a heavy truck and trailer repair shop is that you get exposed to a lot of vendors that build professional quality parts and heavy duty pieces that can be repurposed for your automotive needs. You wouldn't believe how many new and used Mack truck parts have been on my Chevelle at one time or another. I am also fortunate to have a ton of local vendors that I have developed professional relationships over the years with that can help me with my personal vehicle needs. My area is overly blessed with some really great shops that specialize in one particular area. We have a good auto electric shop, radiator shop, clutch and driveline shop, automotive hardware shop, frame and suspension shop, a brake parts shop and more. Pretty darn sporty for a city no larger than Fort Wayne Indiana.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sealed up my hurst switch, no problems.
I was going to do that too, until I found this. The best part of the Cole Hersee part if you shop around, you can get it for less than $20. I looked for probably a month, and the cheapest Hurst one could find was around $40.

· Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
795 Posts
I was going to do that too, until I found this. The best part of the Cole Hersee part if you shop around, you can get it for less than $20. I looked for probably a month, and the cheapest Hurst one could find was around $40.
If my hurst switch ever fails I will get the Hersee switch, thanks corn the heads up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.