Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this one out from the Deals on Wheels website - can they possibly get anything close to the asking price? Sounds like its priced like an LS6....

www.dealsonwheels.com/search/detailbig.cfm?Autos__ID=mce2479

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rainer (edited 08-13-99).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice car, but I don't think it's $50K nice. I bet the dealer owns it for no more than half of that.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
72 Chevelle
Team Chevelle #298

·
Registered
283 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute. he may eventually get it or close to it.
Harley

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Very strange. They're asking 45k for a 68 GT-500 which is realistic, but I see no way that the Chevelle is worth 50.

Anyone else think the 76 Nova they have would be a fun car to bomb around in?

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
http://www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's strange, given he's asking $35K for a Plymouth Belvedere Hemi, and only $29K for an LS5. Car must be way over-restored.

------------------
Morris "moepoe" Porter

Aces 2674
'70 L34 Chevelle SS396

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Wow, that pic has me wishing I decided on silver for my 70's finish. I'm sure someone will offer close to the asking price, eventually. Man, I've gone powder-coat-happy with my car, and everything that's back together so far is flawless and shines like detroit never intended, but there's no way I'd think it was worth anything close to $50k. Not that I'd ever sell it anyway.
Byfield, you know about price inflation of classic cars in Wisconsin..check this out. Before I had my 70 (4 yrs ago) my dad and I went to Hartland to check out a classic car dealer which will remain nameless, but I'm sure you can figure out the name. Anyway, they had a 70 SS 350hp advertised as a stock restored car in 'flawless' shape. So we take a look at the Chevelle and it's got a really nice coat of Cortez Silver with black stripes, black interior, and a pretty straight body. The paint had NO rock chips in it so I'm starting to suspect something is up (paint 'n' sell kind of dealer, I guess). he interior is ok -- repro everything, and the SS dash is pretty sadly detailed. Hurst shifter, no console (looked pretty cool, I thought). So I sit down in the driver bucket and the springs saaaaaag until I'm in the proverbial grandma-behind-the-wheel position. NOT impressive. But the paint is sure nice! I pop the hood and the motor is very well detailed, but the frame stub looks kinda bubbly, for lack of a better word. I check out under the car, and ugh--rust scale EVERYWHERE, to the extent that the rear sway bar appeared to have lost some thickness from rust eating away at it! But everything was COVERED in black gloss paint. There was no way that an enthusiast would have splurged for that paint job but left a structurally questionable, and downright nasty, underside alone. Just for kicks, I asked the salesman (who couldn't stop telling me that it had a V8 and a 'stick shift') if the numbers matched on the engine and if it was documented with a build sheet. Obviously he hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Oh yeah. and they wanted a cool $18k for this car. Haha!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I think the ad was supposed to say "Owner went crazy and sniffed to much powder coating and then set the price of 50K.".

Must not be interested in selling it real bad at that price. WAY HIGH!! (in more ways than one)

------------------
Mike
71 SS454 4spd/with air ElCamino
Gold Member # 149

·
Registered
740 Posts
I looked @ the next picture and it then said that he was only asking 30k just click for more info then look @ the next pic and the price drops a bit

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gumball thats what I thought first too but theres 3 or more different '70 chevelles on that page.. if you find the correct one (its on the far right) its listed again at $49.9K

Mike

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
hey! finally i ge to see my color combo up close (well pretty close mine will be pewter)if it EVER gets outa the paint shop,(been a month) and after paint tranny change (200-4r) wheels (welds)cowlhood guages motor etc. i will only have 6500 in it. Do yall think it will be worth..... oh ,how bout $70,000 since i did put a cd in it. lol

------------------
Current picture of car in paint shop members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle2.jpg John Krenn
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One general comment - the price of 60/70's cars are escalating, I believe, as the number of 50 year old guys peaks. Demographically, 50 yr old males are in their peak earning/spending years. If they want a car "just like in high school", they have the moolah to pay. But not 50K. That dude way overspent on the resto no doubt.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
excuse me guys but I would like to find John Krenn who listed his photos of his car in the paint shop. I am from Fort Worth and would like to make contact with another chevelle guy.

Thanks
Chuck with the 70 SS El Camino

------------------

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
According to two certified appraisers I recently dealt with, a top of the line, immaculately restored, totally perfect in every way 70 model SS 454 will appraise in the low to mid twenties. This is in north Texas. It varies depending on where you live. Fifty grand? Too rich for my blood. That's one of those "When I hit the lotto" cars.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Heck Randy, if I ever hit the lotto I'll spend a month hunting in north TX and then buy a matched pair and still have enough left over to take my sweetie out for dinner!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
A used car salesman told me 25 years ago (while I was looking at a rust bucket tempest convertible that was priced at least three times its value) that there is an ass for every saddle. He sold the car.

If this one ever sells, it will sell to someone who doesn't know their ass from their saddle.

Happy Trails!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.