Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday night, my son went out to our barn to help my daughter feed our "barn cats". To make a long story short, he met up with a stray cat in the barn that must have felt cornered. It lashed out and sliced his jeans open (about a 6 inch tear), scratched his leg and sunk all four cannie teeth deep into his calf.

He had to start Rabies shots later that night (we couldn't find the cat after the attack). He had 5 syringes of injections however the kicker is that they spread two of the syringes out into about 9 or 10 actual injections surround the bite wound. That means he had around 13 or so actual "injections". My wife took him to the hospital and she said the nurses and doctors were amazed at his courage (they sent 4 nurses in to hold him down during the shots but they weren't necessary - he just sat there and wimpered a little). He is a darn tough little boy and I'm very proud to call him my son.

We caught the cat later in the day on Saturday. Vet put it down and I took it to the National Animal Disease Lab in Ames (kind of nice to have a world class lab just a few miles from home!). Inital tests came back negative but docs want to wait for the 10 day culture test. So...he had to have his second dose of Rabies vaccine tonight...and one more this coming Saturday before we'll have the OK to stop, assuming the 10 day results come back negative.

I've had enough excitement this past week to last me for a while!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a series of rabies shots about 15 years ago after I was exposed to a supposed rabid raccoon. I initially received one injection and then a couple more when we found out that the racoon turned out to be ok. It was someones pet. Long story. The scary part was that I had been feeling like crap a little while after my initial exposure to the raccoon and 2 weeks later they told me on phone to get to the hospital right away as they hadnt been able to find me for the first 2 weeks.

The shots werent all that bad but it did feel like they were injecting acid into my ass cheek. You sure have one brave little boy.

I'd cut him a lot of slack over the next 2 weeks if I were you. I think a trip to ChuckE cheese is definately in order.

peace

kev

·
Registered
579 Posts
i feel for your boy, sounds like a chevelle model is in order here, cheer the litle buckaroo up..

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Sounds like one tough kid. I think they grow up that way in IOWA. Been to the Ames lab a couple of times, impressive place. Tell him to hang in there from the rest of us as I'm sure I would be screaming like a new born if it were me. :bow:

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Poor litle guy, hope he doesn't mind shots too much.
If he did mind. After all those needles sticking into him, im sure he doesnt mind anymore now. Glad to hear he is doing alright. That can be a scary thing when it happens. I hear that Cat Scratch Fever is a dangerous thing too. I used to think that was just a tune from Ted Nugent.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had rabies shots when I was about his age. I learned then if you relax it all goes much easier, looks like he has that figured out also. I remember getting them all over. One week arm, one week left side butt, one week right side butt, etc.. They hurt for a few days too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts