Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Fellas,

this is off the topic, but i am looking into buying a 96 Chevy 1500 Z71 Truck. It has transmission problems, what the guy says. My question is, what type of tranny did these trucks come with?? 700R4?? its a 4x4 truck. so just wondering. any info would be appriciated :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Re: 96 Chevy 1500 Z71 Truck

I'm pretty sure mine came with a 4L60E. But, it has been several years so my memory may be off on this...

I loved this truck. It was my first brand spanking new truck I had ever owned. I ended up trading it in '99 for a big block powered 3/4 ton crew cab. (there is no replacement for displacement! :thumbsup:)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok cool, the guy is selling it to me for $3800 but the reverse is starting to slip, so i am pretty sure i am going to have to have the tranny rebuilt huh?? is $3800 a good price for it?? it has 100k miles on it. and it is very clean.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
my guess is a 4l60e, the 4l80e got used in larger trucks-ck the bluebook on the truck, figure 1500-2000 for the trans, unless you pull it and know somebody

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
I just sold my 96 Z71. The trans is a 4L60E and I had mine rebuilt about 8 months ago for $1583. The truck has 207000 miles on it and still looked and runs good. Sounds like you are getting yours for a good price, mine was loaded with options and sold for $6600.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I bought my 96 Z71 extended cab with 80,000 miles in 2000.
My trans went out at 150,000 on vacation in Sout Dakota.

I got a Hanser reman trans.
http://www.hansers.com/transmissions/reman.htm

~$500 for labor if you have it put in, ~$1400 for the tranny/converter.

3 year 36,000 miles warr.

It went out again 30,000 later, and they stood behind it, and even paid the for labor at AAMCO to R&R. Not even AAMCO gives that kind of warranty.

It now has 200,000 and still going strong. If it goes out again, I will go only put in a Hanser trans.

The 5.7 it still smooth, and orignal exhaust. I expect to keep it probably 3+ years.....maybe till 300,000. :)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phillip that is a nice looking truck. :thumbsup: Yeah I blue book it and its about $7200 street value, so I think I am getting a good deal on it. So i am figuring about $3800 + $1500 = $5300 for a 96 Z71 4x4 with 100k miles sounds good.
He says the reverse just started to slip, but he hasnt felt the other ones, so i am thinking of just dropping the tranny and taking it in to get it rebuilt. right?? or maybe pay someone to do it. have a local guy that does trannys, so will see how much, i think around $1k.

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
Ralphy If it is a clean truck it would be worth the extra hassle. 100k miles is nothing on these trucks if they were maintained.
My first tranny rebuild was at around 75k miles. Mostly my fault for towing a big trailer. I had the GM dealer rebuild it. The second time at 168k miles was just from normal wear. When mine went out I lost first and fourth. It sounded like a broken rear end from all the grinding noise it was making in first. They rebuilt the original unit in one day, for some reason my tranny is slightly different and they did not have that model on the shelf. I had dropped it off on Thursday at noon and pick it up Friday at 4:30. It had not shifted as well new as it does now. Local shop in Tucson...Sharps transmission, great place to do business.
Why not let the tranny guy do the R&R too, it really doesn't save that much and if he does it there is no question about the install if something goes wrong under warrentee.

Leo This was after a professional detail, but I do try and maintain my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a plan, once i get it i will post some pics up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
My 96 Z71 has the 5.0L with the 4L60E trans. Trans lated 185,000 miles of pulling loads and lots of offroading. Put in a rebuilt one this summer cause 2nd gear went out and its going good but only has a few thousand miles now since I dont drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
GM offers a rebuilt for a little more $ but has a warantee of 3yr/36k or more at ANY GM dealer anywhere...good if you travel .They come full of fluid(add 2qts or so) and prerun-in so you know it will work . Some deals out there , check around.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cool, I will definately look around for the best deal on the tranny rebuilt. I just got off the phone with the guy, got him down to $3200 for it. Just booked my flight out to Sacramento to drive it back to where i am at(5.5 hr drive), hope it will make it. guys says it runs perfect and it should not give me any problems, just that the reverse slips once in a while, but all other gears work fine. will see. I will post pics as soon as i have it home :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
14,221 Posts
With an already well maintained vehicle, a professional detail will get you top dollar when you sell. I need to get busy and do the spring cleaning on our trucks.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I bought the truck. Drove it from Sacramento to Laguna Hills (Orange County) took me about 6 hrs. Though i did experience some grinding and zoom noices coming out of the tranny on my way home. I thought it wasnt going to make it, but it did. taking it this evening to my local tranny guy. he said most likely the clutches are done, so a full HD rebuilt will be done with a shift kit, he said no more than $1k to overhaul it. Sounds about right??

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
$1k sounds real good. Let us know how it turns out and if you are happy with the truck.

Buyer backed out on mine. Low credit score and couldn't find a co-signer. It goes back on the market with an ad in tomorrows paper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts