Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to install a fuel injected '94 LT-1 & 4L60e trans out of a '94 Camaro complete with all accessories into my '68 El Camino. I am looking for any assistance into problems with this swap. The El Camino is currently 327 w/350 turbo trans, a/c, column shift, power steering, power brakes. I have the complete wiring harness, and computer out of the Camaro. The wiring in the Elco dash is thrashed due to stereo theft & vandalism. Has anyone used any of the aftermarket wiring companies (Ron Francis, Painless, etc...) with good results, or should I just strip out the unnecessary wiring out of the Camaro harness? Any recommendations, suggestions, comments, or solutions to known problems with this conversion will be greatly appreciated! I have been reading your forums for the last 3 days and am confident that someone here can help me. Thanks in advance. Wes O'Dell

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
I think all the computer sensor and control wires are in a separate harness going to the conputer. If so you just need a minimal amount of wires to tie into the dash for warning light and power to the ECM. However you will need the VSS signal from the transso it may be difficult to run your stock speedo. Did you get the front end of the exhaust from the Camaro with the cats? I saw a 56 Nomad at a car show that had used a similiar engine/trans but he used the instrument cluster from the Camaro as well. He had a custom bezel made and it looked sharp.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe we got the whole exhaust system. I was going to put a set of SS headers from Summit, and dual exhaust, no cats on the Elco since the Camaro exhaust won't fit the Chevelle/Elco. I was planning on getting a new electric speedo that will fit the stock dash. The dash of the Camaro had been damaged prior to getting the car to part out. I checked on that last weekend, My Bro' said someone had tried to pry it out or chiseled the speedo. (it's thrashed) I am getting the parts from my brother who was going to put it in his '35 Chevy Standard. He decided to go another route. He was worried about the wiring being to much of a problem. Do you now where I can get a dash bezel made to fit the '68? I would like to put other gauges in my dash, its the plain Malibu dash with minimal gauges.

[This message has been edited by 1LowElCo (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Wish I could remember which magazine I saw a similar swap in, probably Hot Rod, Car Craft, or Pop Hot Rod within the last two years. Their swap was into a 1st gen Camaro, I imagine that issues are similar for your Elky. See if any of your buddies has stockpiled his old car magazines, or see if an articl archive can be found.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino
Beater comes back to life
350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph!

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Someone posted some pictures awhile back of an excellant conversion of a 70 sweep dash to digital instruments. Looked as if the General had built it that way. You might try a search and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Low;

You can get a loom to hook up the computer from Howell Engineering.

As for the speedometer, you can get a unit that hooks up to the electrical output of the transmission and has a motor that spins at the correct speed. The mechanical speedo cable is hooked up to that.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Low,
Try this guy - Phil Wyatt (972) 924-3100. He's been building wiring harnesses for this very same type of swap for more than 10 years. Been messing with EFI systems since they came out and one guy one this site has done this swap in his '71 I believe. Says the system works great and I've been talking with him about my '67 convt. I plan on a '94 LT1 with a 700R4 swap and Phil assures me that its no problem. Cost is around $1600. If nothing else, he should be able to give you all the info you need.
Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You should check out http://www.jagsthatrun.com
They have a lot of good info.
As far as the spedo you can use an older style tailshaft housing and relocate the reluctor gears. Its on the website.
Its a cool swap. I've got a 95 impalla lt1 and tranny in my '70 chevelle. You might also have to have your driveshaft shortened. Email me if you have more detailed questions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/B][/QUOTE]Hey Hooaugh,
Thanks for the tip on the great site. Got a lot of info, and I'm going
to order one of the books. It really helps getting info from someone who
has done this type of swap, but to be able to get the info in writing from
someone that has done dozens, THAT'S AWESOME!!!
This conversion is getting
more exciting with every day that I get more info from all the Great folks
here on Chevelle Tech. Keep all the good info flowing.

Thanks, Wes (1LowElCo)

------------------
"When the job gets you down, and life's a drag,..........RACE!!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.