Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has done this SI to CS swap. I pulled an alternator off of a '91 Caprice Cop Car at the junkyard the other day and want to install it on my '81 Malibu. Does anyone have any advice as to what I need to do? I've checked a couple of sites on the web and can't find anything specific. It has a two wire plug on it but the connector is completely different from the typical SI style that was on pre '86 cars like my Malibu. The housing is very similar to the old SI style. The main difference is the connector, the threaded hole for the bracket on the back and the battery stud are located differently. My main concern is the wiring because the research I have done suggests that if I use the old wiring I could be asking for trouble.

Rod
------------------
'70 Chevelle frame-off (restification in progress)
'81 Malibu Classic Landau street/strip

[This message has been edited by Rmchevelle (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In my post above one of the things I was trying to get out was that this alternator physically looks more like the SI style than the newer CS style. I have to assume that because of the model year that it is a CS.

Rod

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big James,
Thanks, for some reason I didn't see that article in the reference section, missed it completely. I did see another article that is different in the tech section about alternator swaps it just didn't have what I was looking for. This one does. Thanks again.

Rod

------------------
'70 Chevelle frame-off (restification in progress)
'81 Malibu Classic Landau street/strip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.