Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a top end package I just finished for a customer that I thought I'd share. Engine is a 540 Dart block, Scat crank and rods, Mahle pistons, 10.5:1, Dan Olson kick out pan, Straub custom solid roller, going in a jet boat. Customer is in TN.

Basically start with this:

Canfield 310's un-molested.

Vallve seats bored to the proper ID and the bowls roughed in:

Roughed in:

Ports and bowls finshed, valve job roughed in, chambers shaped:

Finished ports:

Finished chambers and final valve job:

Final flow numbers:

Int. good/bad ex

.2 155/153 117
.3 221/221 158
.4 283/279 198
.5 335/321 232
.6 369/347 258
.7 386/367 279
.8 379/377 291

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Pump gas 540/Canfield top-end build

For those of you who think you can just buy this stuff from Summit or Jegs and bolt it together, this will give you some idea of things to look for as you go through your top end assembly.
Getting ready to start checking for PR length and geometry. I had the customer send me one of his rockers just to make sure we were on the same page, and it's a good thing I did (rather than assume I had something here that was "close enough") because it was immediately clear these weren't going to work:

Turned out the customer's rockers were 1.8 Harland Sharps. Everything we had discussed up to this point (including already having the cam) was figured around a 1.7 Crane Gold rocker which is what Canfield used when designing these heads. Ratio aside, these HS rockers have terrible geometry on these heads, so we ordered him a set of Cranes. The last set I could find, BTW.
Once I had the rockers, I could get back to checking geometry and pushrod length.

We made a good choice to go with a 7/16 pushrod, and once the lengths were figured I ordered those from Smith Brothers, and a set of Comp Cams 7/16 guide plates. We also needed a little longer rocker stud, so I ordered some ARP's at the same time. With a nice set of Howard roller springs and some US made Ti retainers from Chris Straub, the valve train was starting to come together, but not without more of it's typical stumbling blocks, like aftermarket guide plates and rocker alignment. Once I had the new parts, I mocked everything up for a final check, and again, it's a good thing I did:

Because they are 7/16, the only option on these is to cut, adjust, and weld. I also noticed something else while in the process:

You can see the shiny ring at the base of the threads, under the hex head of the rocker stud. This is where the stud was hitting the hardened guide plate and not fully seating on the integral washer. Putting a sharp load in that corner of the stud is asking for a failure. There is a slightly larger than normal radius there, and needs to be compensated for in the guide plate. However, since the guide plates are just stamped out by the thousands, this isn't taken into consideration. They're also hardened, which means you don't just go over to the drill press and use a counter sink on them. I had to find the right grinding stone, dress it to the right angle, and use that in the drill press to get a decent chamfer on the holes in the guide plates.

With the guide plates finally finished, I could make sure the extra large pushrods had enough clearance against the heads which, in a few places they didn't, and needed a little extra clearance. Each set of guide plates have to be mounted and push rods installed in order to make sure they all clear.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Once all that was done, it was time for a final inspection, and ready for final assembly. I had already measured all the installed heights and figured out my shims, so the final assembly went quickly.

Last thing to do once the heads were assembled was to set them back on the engine and run everything through it's paces one last time.

At this point everything looks good, so it's a wrap, and time to box it all up and ship it out. (This was around Christmas time)
Come on Brown!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just for reference, we put the intake on the heads and flowed...making sure nothing wierd was going on:

(sorry for the lousy cell phone pics)

Engine was dynod today...waiting for the results. I'll post as soon as I have them. Looking for 850/6500 range.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Very nice as usual scott.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts

Very nice work, Scott. I think the Canfield heads are (or were????) one of the most underrated heads on the market. That intake is bad-arse. Gotta love the port entry. What did the heads flow when you were finished with them? How much, if any, of a restriction was the intake? Thanks for sharing. Very, very nice!

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts

Thanks kjet...the flow numbers are posted above. The intake cost about 10cfm at the top which is typical.
Those are really good numbers, Scott. I had Tommy at Champion Racing Heads in Fla port a set of 310cc Canfield heads for me years ago. I don't have the flow numbers handy, but I think your's did a touch better. Well done!

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts

Scott,
Congrats. Mike called me and he is "Stoked" to say the least. The dyno operator didn't say much except to tell him "you got a gooden". I guess the shop that told him that it would make only 655HP per Desktop Dyno needs to add about 250 to their program.

Nice work bud.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Scott,
Congrats. Mike called me and he is "Stoked" to say the least. The dyno operator didn't say much except to tell him "you got a gooden". I guess the shop that told him that it would make only 655HP per Desktop Dyno needs to add about 250 to their program.

Nice work bud.
Thanks Chris. Yeah, he's pretty happy. He would have been happy with a tic over 800. I knw we'd do a bit better than that. ;)

You did good on the cam, man. [email protected] 6200 ain't too shabby. :D :beers:

·
Registered
13,427 Posts
That's an incredible amount of power at that low rpm from a 540" NA motor. 555" Jim built was in the 700's at that rpm, 800's with a solid roller, but up near 7000. Mike (Akaui) 555" was in the 800's at a much higher rpm. That motor is putting out as much grunt as something with boost. I know the heads were done nicely, it all contributes, only major differentiating factor - the tunnel ram?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's an incredible amount of power at that low rpm from a 540" NA motor. 555" Jim built was in the 700's at that rpm, 800's with a solid roller, but up near 7000. Mike (Akaui) 555" was in the 800's at a much higher rpm. That motor is putting out as much grunt as something with boost. I know the heads were done nicely, it all contributes, only major differentiating factor - the tunnel ram?
The TR is definitely a major factor, but the bottom line is the combination. The cam is the real magic here. The heads were built with a specific minimum area to throat relationship and the intake was very close to ideal as far as runner length and opening area. The heads were only 316cc (good port) and this was all targeted specifically at that rpm range. Spring pressure wasn't excessive, we used 7/16 pushrods, the geometry was spot on, etc, etc. and the guys who did the bottom end and put the engine together obviously did their job well.
The ram effect of the TR is something that can't be as effectively duplicated by a singel plane intake, and the equal length runners speak for themselves. I just gave all the info to Chris and as usual, he did his magic. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts