Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently placed a Currie 9+ in service. I noticed that the drivers side is
leaking onto the rotor and wheel.

I pulled the axle thinking it was a seal issue. Upon pulling the axle out I pulled on the race with my fingers and was able to pull it out with light pressure.

Borrowed a Seal / Bearing Race installer and race did not seat tightly. I suspect
that my leak is related to the bearing race not being set deep or tight enough.

Question is: Should the bearing race be a TIGHT Fit. Could this be causing the
seal not to seat properly (Big Bearing).

I put it all back together with a little RTV around the outside of the seal and still leaking.

NEXT STEP?

THX

Steve

PS: New Member. This is my first posting. Love the resources on this site!

W

·
0 Posts
I recently placed a Currie 9+ in service. I noticed that the drivers side is
leaking onto the rotor and wheel.

I pulled the axle thinking it was a seal issue. Upon pulling the axle out I pulled on the race with my fingers and was able to pull it out with light pressure.

Borrowed a Seal / Bearing Race installer and race did not seat tightly. I suspect
that my leak is related to the bearing race not being set deep or tight enough.

Question is: Should the bearing race be a TIGHT Fit. Could this be causing the
seal not to seat properly (Big Bearing).

I put it all back together with a little RTV around the outside of the seal and still leaking.

NEXT STEP?

THX

Steve

PS: New Member. This is my first posting. Love the resources on this site!
Every race I've ever seen was a tight fit. This could get ugly, the housing bore could be wrong, best case the race is wrong.

I thought that many ford used a complete bearing, no race and had a seal on the OD of the bearing?

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
I thought that many ford used a complete bearing, no race and had a seal on the OD of the bearing?
Steven,
This is exactly what I was thinking. Every 9" Ford I have ever seen has a one piece sealed bearing that is pressed onto the axle shaft along with a pressed on lock ring. Most of the aftermarket ones, like Moser, have an "O" ring on the bearing OD to seal it to the housing.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Ford used a sealed ball bearing and a tapered roller bearing in the 9 inch. You have the tapered roller bearing. The roller bearing has the seal on the outsude instead of in the axle tube. These bearings don't fit very tight in the bore. The problem with these bearings is that when the seal starts to leak you have to replace the complete bearing assembly to change the seal. The tapered roller bearign is better for cornering and the ball bearing is good for drag racing.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to tear it back down and take some measurements then call Currie.
Will check housing end against Race Diameter. If housing end is right looks like I'll be pulling the bearing to install new seal, bearing and race.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to Currie today.

They said that this had been a problem with rears sold with tapered bearings and Wilwood Disc. The retainer plate supplied by Wilwood did not put enough pressure on the seal and thus the leak.

The new retainer plate is Currie Part # CE-9005TW

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product596.aspx?id=3267

Oddly he said being able to remove the race was with light finger pressure was not unusual. Will let you know how new races seat and how other side is when new parts arrive and I tear it down.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts