Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1020hp, sure it's fast. I can't see spending that kind of coin on a car with the build quality of a 90's GM vehicle though. Ever been in a Tesla?
Nope. Never been in a Tesla. Or a Corvette, too small for me.
I would never purchase any car like that, just that I'd point out that that technology is out there. That's what intrigues me. 👍

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yeah its real fun going to the track when the Tesla soccer mom SUVs are outrunning your badass chevelle.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ya those sure are quick, but at the track I race at NHRA came in after another type of car had a li-on battery fire so no one can race them at a Div. 5 Track right now according to the guy I race with. Seems the track was ill equipped to put out that kind of battery fire and the driver suffered bad burns on his hands.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zero emissions ? It uses electricity. How is electricity made ?
Well.... Electricity is made by:
Hydroelectric, solar or wind , where in from.
But I understand it's dirty with coal...
Point is, the vehicle is not producing crap while driving.
No need to be critical..

·
Registered
792 Posts
"Hydroelectric, solar or wind , where in from."

Which of those is genuinely "Zero emissions"?
None! There is no free lunch, everything manufactured produces varied types of emissions/waste during production, transport, and use.
Since the Greenies refuse to just "Live and let live", demanding the immediate end of ICE via Fed. mandate, rather than free market forces, I feel it is my duty to call their bluff and be critical every time their false claims come up.
Solar and wind are the main scams, look into what it takes to keep them operational. Hint, massive subsidies and natural gas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Hydroelectric, solar or wind , where in from."

Which of those is genuinely "Zero emissions"?
None! There is no free lunch, everything manufactured produces varied types of emissions/waste during production, transport, and use.
Since the Greenies refuse to just "Live and let live", demanding the immediate end of ICE via Fed. mandate, rather than free market forces, I feel it is my duty to call their bluff and be critical every time their false claims come up.
Solar and wind are the main scams, look into what it takes to keep them operational. Hint, massive subsidies and natural gas.
So gas burning cars are less harmful to the environment than electric burning ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
792 Posts
At least ICE is more HONEST, I despise the constantly repeated FALSE narrative of "Zero Emissions".
It is used to justify the smug superiority and legislative demands of folk who do not actually know what they are talking about.
"Zero" is a drastic and untrue claim. Anyone else routinely abusing such terminology would certainly be prosecuted for false statements. But the Greenies get a pass at our expense.
I remain unimpressed with Tesla and EV's in general.
Want to really go fast in an electric vehicle? Just build an electric rail sled. It will have no other purpose but I'm sure the technology is there to make you pass out or die from the acceleration.
Navy now uses them to launch aircraft from Carriers so it is proven tech.

·
Registered
792 Posts
By the way, the "Clean" electric comes from Hydro, Nuclear, or Natural Gas.
Of course the Greenies are trying to shut down Natural Gas production and tear down the Hydro dams.
Existing Nuclear is being shut down ahead of schedule. No new plants currently being built.

Not sure of the correct word for it, but the Greenies are some sort of insane.
Demanding an all electric future while also demanding all genuinely practical generating sources be shut down.

Wind and solar cannot carry the load. If you ever thought billboards are ugly wait until you see how many windmills and square miles of solar panels it takes to make a fraction of the necessary power we need.

I doubt it is even possible to fully charge an EV overnight from the type of solar most folk have available at home.
I know 110v takes too long to be practical and most home solar barely keeps up with a few small appliances.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
"ZERO" emissions is like "Free" lunch; both bogus terms because someone, somewhere is paying for it or producing emissions. While they may not emit while driving, they emit to produce and charge...

Tesla is a neat car; drove one a few days ago..0-60 was very impressive, and when battery range increases with charge time decreasing, they will sell more, BUT... anyone who thinks they're "saving the planet" is thinking irrationally.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
AND where are all the 5 to 10 year old Batteries going to be deposed of after their Life Span is up ??

Just like the 20 year old Wind Turbines when their Life Span is up !!

Reactions: 72McBowtie

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My next door neighbor has solar with batteries and has completely disconnected from the local utility. They charge both their Tesla model 3’s and run their entire house day and night with only the solar. The house has electric everything, ie, no natural gas. They’re not “greenies” because they have a pickup, dirt bikes and an offshore boat but they’re always about new technology.
I don’t know what it cost them but it wasn’t cheap I’m sure ($100k plus ??).
So instead of buying gas for their cars and paying the utility they pay for their solar system.
Personal choice. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

Reactions: 72McBowtie

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow, that must be one heck of a system to charge three Teslas AND run all their utilities.
I would bet that your cost estimate is way too low.
My county is still resisting demands for solar powered "Free" EV charging, mostly due to cost of the system and land.
This is farm country, EV's pass through but I don't know of anyone local actually owning one.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Two Tesla’s not three and yes there system (and there house) is huge. I believe they have five batteries. $100k could be low. I’ve never gotten an accurate solar install quote so I could be off.
Our house is WAY smaller and it’s just my wife and I so our utilities are super low. If we ever got an electric car we might look into solar but our roof probably isn’t big enough for enough panels to dump the utility completely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts