Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace my dashboard in my 80 Malibu with a new one (old one has a few cracks). Before I get started, does anyone have any helpful tips on how to do this easily? I am used to the old steel dashes on older cars...this one is all plastic. Does the whole thing come out as one piece?
Thanks for any info.

http://member.aol.com/amhpd17/index.html

[This message has been edited by amhpd17 (edited 04-02-99).]

G

·
I recently replace the dash in my '81 GMC Caballero. The pad is one-piece and will take some time, but it's not that hard.

I removed the dash cluster and radio pod items first. You'll need to drop the steering column down because part of the dash pad is sandwiched between the bolts that hold the steering column in place. Next, remove the screws next to the windshield defrosters. Then there are some 10MM bolts under the dash, at the corners, you'll need to remove, all in all, not that many. Finally, you'll find some wire looms attached to the back of the pad. Be careful not to break the "hoops" that secure the looms. You won't need to remove the glove box nor the vents in the pad itself. Good luck!

Rick

G

·
I have R&R late model dashes about a dozen times. It gets easier when you know what bolts and screws are where. I can now take my dash out in about 15 minutes.

Rick had many of the high points dead on. I would remove the harness with the dash for simplicity sake. First, disconnect the battery. In the engine compartment remove the center screw in the harness connector on the firewall. Unplug the harness. Under the dash remove the two screws holding the connector to the firewall. At this point lower the steering column, remove the three lower 10mm bolts (each corner and center below radio), and also the upper windshield screws. You will also have several plugs to undo before it is ready to come out. One will be at the park brake that feeds the rear of the car. you may also have some others especially if your car has the computer on the pass side kick panel. At this point the whole assembly should slide out easily.

With the whole assembly out, you can swap the wiring harness out sitting on the workbench. I find this easier than wrestling with it in the car.

Hope this helps
Todd Geisler
Malibu Muscle
http://www.qis.net/~tgeisler

BTW, did you get a new dash? If so, where did it come from. I am trying to compile suppliers info for my web site. Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
The El Camino store has new dashes and Just dashes can recover your old one for a little more than a new one but you don't have to paint it. Lauren sells a fiberglass dash for 78-81 malibu-el camino.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert,

Do you have the email address or phone number for the El Camino store? Also, do you know if they sell new dashes or just the moulded covers to cover the cracks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The new dash for 81-87 is $499.00 (ouch) but about $50 cheaper than just dashes. They also have the outer shell that just covers it for $99.00 i have seen it for $69.00 somewhere, i will let you know if i find it. For the time i will live with the crack in mine.

Autoenhance.com has good prices on oem looking center caps

3wave.com/arp has a few body parts and 68-72 el camino 1/4 panels for 148.50.

The El Camino Store 1-888-685-5987
Goleta,Ca

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Robert....My '80 Malibu has a moulded cover on top of the old dash and it looks pretty good. I was just getting ready to replace it with a donor or new dash. I had no idea that the cost of new ones was that much!! Maybe I will live with the moulded cover until I find a decent used one in a junker car....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember the 78-81 dash is slightly different from the 82-87 dash, at least according to the GM parts manual.
Does the El Camino store carry the 78-81 dash yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are right about the 78-81 & 82-87,I was reading what was printed in the catalog. The only 78-81 dash i know of is the fiberglass one from Lauren. The fiberglass one won't crack like the vinyl and foam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.