Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received an 8 Track Player Under Dash that has two sets of speaker connections or wiring off the rear. The unit appears to require a multiplexor and according to the code numbers has a 2 in it which signifies multiplexor.

I have the original 69 AM Radio in my car and it did come with an under dash 8 track player but not with a multiplexor.

Can I wire the in dash speaker to this player by using only one set of the speaker connections? My AM radio is connected to the speakers in the rear.

I am hoping I can connect one set of the wires and it will work so I don't have to try and find a multiplexor.

Thanks.

Ken Miele

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Ken,

For what you want, I'm afraid it just won't work.

#1, the multiplexes were used with FM-stereo sound systems having 2 stereo channels (left and right) fed thru 4 speakers.
Even if you found a multiplex, it really wouldn't be worth it, or correct to attempt to jury rig it to an AM radio.

#2, having created Radio Tech, my research is on-going (and hit and miss) and thus far have uncovered that a switch that was mounted under the dash is needed that switched power and speakers to the desired unit, either the tape or FM. I believe '69 this set-up still continued, but am still looking into it. If it is needed, these switches are very rare.

#3, If you were to jury rig it (I really don't have any schematics to offer to you at this time) you can't just run the tape player's output to a single speaker, one of the outputs (remember there is 2 channels of output) would be damaged by not connecting it.

#4, I hope the existing speakers you have running to your AM are at least 8 ohms, or you'll damage the output circuitry in your radio.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I don't post at Team Chevelle like I use to due to time constraints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.

I had always said if I found an 8 track I would mount it and not worry about using it, so I guess I will stick with my original thoughts.

The speakers in the dash are the double speakers from NPD which are Pioneer or Ken Harrison. Do you know if they are the 8 ohm type? I will call them today to ask.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, is there a way to run the 8 track independently of the radio to the two speakers in the dash? Maybe this way the double outputs are conected to two seperate speakers and the radio system is then connected to their own two speakers.

Would be great if that would work.

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Miele (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Ken,

I can't promise anything, but I can try to see what I can dig up.

What is the model # of the unit?

How many, and what are the color of the wires that come out of the rear of the unit?

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts