Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did GM make a 8.2 posi unit eaton style? or were they all like the auburn style?
Thanks,
Tom

------------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, GM did make posi units for the 8.2" rear end and to my knowledge they all were of the friction(clutch) disc design. You are making referene to the Auburn units, which I believe have been used in some 88 & up pick ups that are of the cone style. I do not believe that GM made a "cone" style posi unit for the 8.2" rear. I am not sure that GM has ever made a cone style posi unit for any vehicle as it appears they outsourced the differentials to Auburn for the trucks..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did make the cone type, this is what I have. I know the BOP type rear is a cone but not sure about the GM 8.2 posi unit. Do they have the clutch style posi unit similiar to the 12 bolt setup?
Thanks,
Tom

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not all 8.2 rear ends are the same! During the sixties Eaton & Dana made carriers for General Motors.
Eaton manufactured 3 different design series for GM, one, three and four. Design Series two was manufactured by the Dana Corp. The SERIES is refered to as a DESIGN SERIES, not the size as discribed in the 12 bolt applications. Dana manufactured the short lived Design Series Two which was made for about 8-10 months in 1966 & 1967, to which I have the unfortunate luck to own. The contract with Dana was dropped because it did not perform up to GM's expectation's, let alone anywhere near what Dana advertised. Even the housing is different than any other 8.2 therefore redndering it usless because NOBODY makes a rebuild kit or carrier for them. If there is someone making aftermarket parts let me know because I've got one hanging around

I discovered all of this when I pulled the original differintial out of my 67 Elcamino and had to contact GM public relations just so I could identify differintial.
It is to my knowlage there were no cone type carriers made in the sixties, at least for Chevrolet. BOP seems to have been the test bed for a lot of GM products and I wouldn't be suprized if they had cone carriers back then?
------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-29-2000).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes GM did make an eaton unit for 8.2's, i've got one in my Small block '70. But rebuild parts are no longer available, at least from conventional sources. If you find any parts let me know cause I could use fresh clutch packs and springs!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.