Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this car for 3 grand. It has a 350/350 4.10 gears alum. wheels and a set of slicks. i don't know much about the motor but it sounds real fast. The body is clean as hell. would this be a good car to run 1/4 mi. with? Some one said that g-bodys were 79-87. IS a 78 going to need frame work to get it strong?

G

·
The 78 and up Malibu's are an excellent platform to build upon. They are getting more popular each day. The Malibu is an A-body from 78 to 81, and then was converted to a G-body atarting in '82. It was really only a designation change as the car was basically the same. The 2 door was only built from 78 to 81, and then you only had 4 doors & wagons after that.

If you need any ideas on what can be done to a Malibu, click on my site link in my signature below.

------------------
Malibu Muscle Racing
79 Malibu
Naive...I was.
Skeptical...I am becoming.
Determined...I have always been.
"The only way to fail is to stop trying."

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ask the person selling it what rear end it has. If it has the stock 7.5 10 bolt you might want to change that. If you do buy it, look around for the 8.5 10 bolt out of a Grand National. 78-81 Malibu's make great sleepers.

[This message has been edited by ? (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info. THe 350 is .030 over rpm intake carter 575 194 heads, and all msd ignition anyone know anything about these heads? it s a stock rear, but 4.10 gears. the 350 trans reverse man. valve body and a shift kit. alum wheels with about 10 in. in the back. b&m pro ratchet shifter and two leather racing seats with 5 pt. seat belts. body in good shape with minor suface rust inside wheel wells, and in the rust the rust actually came through. is it worth 3 grand or 2500? both eng. and trans have 1200 mi. on them. it starts just with a bump of the starter too.

G

·
You'll get all kinds of opinions on value, so here's mine

I'd say it is overpriced. The engine doesn't sound like anything special. The rear should really be upgraded in the future. The rust could be a problem too...look under the car at the rear frame rails from the axle housing centerline to the rear bumper. This area is prone to rust out in certain regions of the country.

If the car had a 8.5 GN rear, it might make the car worth the asking price...as it sits, I would offer the guy $1800-2000.

BUT, if it is something you really like, then spend what you feel it's worth to you!

------------------
Malibu Muscle Racing
79 Malibu
414 ci BBC (4.280" x 3.600")
11.13 @ 121.8 mph, 1.56 60'
3650 lbs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like the biggest problem would be the rear axle and fixing the rust. Other than that doesn't sound too bad, but you might be able to find something better. See if he'll come down any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.