Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking at a 78 El Camino for sale. I'm thinking about buying it and using at my daily driver this summer.
Only thing I'm worried about is the gas mileage. Anybody have an idea what kind of mileage it would get?
I don't know a whole lot about the car yet, but it's a 305 V-8 with an automatic trans.

all help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't know what you should expect out of a 30+ year old truck,,,but...My 78 that I had new back in 78-88 w/ 350-4bbl&T-350 would get about 15-16 on the highway...less around town. These things were smog equipped, ran real lean( read that as HOT), and had cats back then. Also they had fairly high geared diffs ( low numerical), so if left as built, it won't be a screamer either. Whatever condition it's in now, it won't be an econo-car. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I've got an '82 Elky with a 305 H.O. from an '84 Monte Carlo SS and a 700R4 with 3.42 gears. Ite gets 18-19 mpg on the hwy.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Anybody else who wants to chime in, please do. I'll be looking at the truck over the weekend.

Jim

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've had a 78, a 81, now have an 84 and have had an 78 malibu with varying engine/trans/rear combos.

Like you would imagine it varies quite a bit with combo. I've had them come with 2.29:1 gears, 2.90's, 2.41's and TH350's as well as lock ups. The best gas milage was my 81 with a v6, lockup 350 and 2.76's. If I kept the speed under 65 it would get 19 to 20 mpg. The 305 cars will generally get high teens if you keep your foot out and the speed down. All the accessories really kill these cars.

Interstingly, I ended up hot rodding all of these cars and got comparable gas milage. The 81 tore everything not bolted down under the hood out and lightened the car up. I put in a 350 good wrench motor with a intake and a 600 holley and mid length headers. The exhaust was 2.25" into a custom built "y" and a single 3" out the back. That car got 18 mpg plus for quite a while.

The 78 malibu (almost identical car underneath to the camino and similar weight) received a 400 small block and comp 270 with a 3.42 gear 8.5" rear. Good exhaust and kept light. I drove that car through college and if kept under 65 it got 16-17 on the hwy.

bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts