Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy two parts cars for $800. One is a '76 Camaro, and it has the rear end that I want for my '70 Chevelle. Will this rear end fit? It's a 12-bolt with a 3.73 in it.

The other is an '86 (in driving condition)and it has the 700-R4 that I want. Is this year model 700-R4 a good candidate for a '70 Chevelle? I may end up driving the 86 as a work car and using the 76 as a parts car.

As always, any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The rear is definately not a bolt in. No 76 Camaro ever came with a 12 bolt so you have to find out what it is originally from. 76 Camaro is a leaf spring car and your Chevelle is coil spring. Don't think you can weld on the "loops" for the upper control arms to use for your Chevelle. Measure the width of you current rear in your Chevelle and compare it to the Camaro. Probably not the same which will require even more work, besides the other mounts that would have to be welded. Personally I think you should sell the Camaro rear and buy the proper one for your Chevelle. Chevelle 12 bolts are more readily available and cheaper than the Camaro ones anyway. 700R4 in the Chevelle sounds killer but I believe I heard somewhere on this site that they are much improved starting in 87. Not that yours could be built to be as good. Someone else can give better info about the trans but I don't think the rear thing is feasible. In fact you should just give it to me!! Just kiddin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This site is truly the 'best'. Never have I seen so many people so willing to share information.

Any more input on the tranny anyone?
I wonder what kind of mileage I could expect out of the '86? It has a stock 350 in it now, and the tranny was rebuilt about a year ago.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is this 86 an IROC? I wouldn't part this car out unless it is in real bad shape, especially with the 350 which is really rare in the 86. Mileage at 22 or 23 mpg on highway. This transmission is a pretty good deal for the older cars as it does have a cable drive speedometer and non electric shift. Maybe not as strong as the later versions, but pretty good. Lots of good parts in the 76. Whole power train would make one heck of an S10 pickup conversion. (Except rear end, too wide) IF you have the room sounds like a really good deal all around. tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 86 is not an IROC. It's a Z28. Does not have the AC in it. It has a quiet knock in it... possibly a spun bearing... but I have two cranks sitting in the garage with nothing to do. The more I think about it, the more I would like to use this as a daily driver. I'm sure that I can get the AC fixed for a relatively decent price.

The owner mentioned something being wrong with the shifter... something about the 'button' not working right, but that it shifted just fine... he had a shift kit installed in it recently....

Any useful advice? I mean besides "Don't take any wooden nickels"....

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
cSchu
Sounds as if your not gonna use the 700 in your chevelle, but you asked about mileage. I had a 100,000 mi 2bbl 350 in my el camino. With 3.31 gears I got 15.5 mpg with the 350 tranny. Switching to the 700 mileage went up to about 19 mpg. New motor is not broken in yet, so I don't have numbers for the new set up.
Bet your're gonna like the Z.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038
NCOA #16197

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I started the whole Chevelle project, I wanted it as my 'toy'... you know Friday nights at the track, terrorizing the mustangs on the weekends.... The TH350 that is in the Chevelle now is plenty strong, and will suffice for what I have in mind for the Chevelle. My wife wanted to use the Chevelle as a daily driver around town. That is what brought on the search for the 700-R4. BUT - if I find a car that runs well and is dependable (maybe the Z), then she can drive it around town and I can continue to play with the Chevelle. I'm going to look at the car this weekend... it may be an old junker. Who knows?

Thanks very much for all of the responses. I wish that I had something clever to say in closing, but.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.