Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of getting a carb for my bbc and my friend has a 750 holley DP carb with annular boosters for me if i want. Will that carb work with this application?.

461 10:1 Forged pistons, 781 oval heads, torker 2.0 manifold, harland RR's, 540/540lift 296/306dur. Th400 3000stall. posi 355 rearend.

Its for my weekend warrior.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I dont see why it wouldnt work, especially if the price is right.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Im in the process of getting a carb for my bbc and my friend has a 750 holley DP carb with annular boosters for me if i want. Will that carb work with this application?.

461 10:1 Forged pistons, 781 oval heads, torker 2.0 manifold, harland RR's, 540/540lift 296/306dur. Th400 3000stall. posi 355 rearend.

Its for my weekend warrior.
750 is small for a 461 motor. You will choke the motor by time you hit 7000RPM
You really need a 850DP

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
750 is small for a 461 motor. You will choke the motor by time you hit 7000RPM
You really need a 850DP
I did not realize that 454 motors were high winders I assumed they were grunt motors oh well maybe its just my motors 7000 rpm is a lot of twist

·
Registered
579 Posts
Op asked if it would work, and it will. For max power would he be better with an 850, sure. FWIW I spin my motor to 7k and am still running a 750.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys :). I dont plan on really taking her to 7k often. I had the 454 bored and put a set of trw forged pistons i had with total seal rings. Its all balanced with arp holding everything together on the motor. Steel crank and stock rods. I just never delt with a annular carb before.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
try it, if you don't like it sell it and try something else.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
If this is more of a street car then it will love the responsiveness of the smaller carb with the annular boosters. If the price is right then it's worth a try.

Don't fall into the bigger is better trap. It will be slower in the 1/4 mile, but on the street you will love it

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
street car then it will love the responsiveness of the smaller carb with the annular boosters
:thumbsup:

This is one of those deals where "more power on the dyno" might actually even go slower in the ¼ particularly with street gears and not alot of converter. Even if you give up a little bit of "max power", the overall driveability - crisp throttle response, good gas mileage potential, and all the other advantages of the annular discharge boosters - is probably worth it.

I'd definitely agree with the guys that say, give it a try. It might be REAL satisfactory.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
think about a dual plane rpm or rpm air gap intake swap while your at it. i'd bet that cam is all done by 6300. no need to spin it past 6500 for sure. imo

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
think about a dual plane rpm or rpm air gap intake swap while your at it. i'd bet that cam is all done by 6300. no need to spin it past 6500 for sure. imo
Yes what you said anything past 6000 rpm and Im just killing time any further it noses over I have never felt the need for anymore rpm If I did I would have a 427 or a 396 I like grunt motors easier to move a lot of sheet metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! Ill def keep that in mind. I mite go with a bigger cam sometime down the road, so well see how this rides 1st.:yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts