Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kid claims it's an SS car...not sure. Looks like it needs a right rear quarter and right fender. He wants the 350/2bbl...thinking it's a powerhouse(can't tell kids anything these days). So, it'll be the body and trans, full set of rally wheels, even has the swivel buckets. Column shift TH350, no a/c car....thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Sould have SS fender emblems. It does have the correct bullet style sport mirrors. Does it have SS door panel trim. Does it have a gauge dash?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I don't think there was a fender badge on the 73 cars.

My Malibu has absolutely nothing on the fenders. (neither one of the 73 Malibus)

Black grille is an SS grille and the emblem in the back is in the right spot.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
As far as I know they were supposed to have 14x7 Rally wheels. Rallys like the mid seventys Camaro used. Those rallys are probably 15x7 FW coded wheels, which I do not believe would be correct.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
didn't really look that close at the dash. part of my brain turned off when i saw it was a 73 lol...kid told me the other night at o'riellys that he had an ss car that kinda looked like mine but he wasn't sure. said he was going to snatch the motor and crush the rest.
as far as emblems, besides the grill and rear, on both rear quarters there is script that reads Super Sport, but i don't recall having seen that same script on anything else. It's a chrome, bolt on piece, simliar to the Chevelle emblem on the fenders of my 68...same font style.
I just finished my 68, don't really need another project but if the price is right and i can save one from the crusher.....

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
The 73s should have the SS letters on the front fenders, grill, tail panel, steering wheel and inner door panels, no engine callout though. The vin should also tell you if it had a 350 or 454, don't think it would have a seperate vin code for an SS though. If the car needs a total resto and it's a 350 car, it's hard to get any money out of them. They like to rust in funny places such as the roof panel above the side windows. I really like these cars as they drive like a cad but still handle well. I believe the standard issue wheels were the turbines on the ss but not sure if you could order rallys or not?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I know the turbine wheels came on the 73 SS elcamino, not sure about the Chevelle. Just did some reasearch on the 73 SS Chevelle. Turbine wheels were available as stated in post above.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
I know the turbine wheels came on the 73 SS elcamino, not sure about the Chevelle. Just did some reasearch on the 73 SS Chevelle. Turbine wheels were available as stated in post above.
I'm going off memory here, I've seen plenty of elkys with the turbines and I owned an untouched SS wagon with the turbines but I'm unsure which was standard issue.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I know the Laguna got the Vette style Rally for 73. Pretty sure the standard wheel for the 73 SS was the 70's Camaro style Rally. Used on Nova, Chevelle, Camaro.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just save it from the crusher, I have a soft spot for those cars
think i will...for $400 bucks, even if i don't build the car, i can at least salvage a lot of the parts. never had much interest in this body style, but there's something about this car... might be my second car for life.
is this chevelle still considered an a body?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
my 73 laguna had no fender emblem. just the "350" above the marker light @ front of fender. the car is long gone. save it for sure. i would buy it for parts too.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
73 Malibus had a Malibu emblem on the fenders.
I stand corrected
Went out this evening and looked--
yep, there on the side was a chrome "MALIBU" emblem with white paint in the letters-----it's a white car, so that must be why I never noticed it;)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Sould have SS fender emblems. It does have the correct bullet style sport mirrors. Does it have SS door panel trim. Does it have a gauge dash?
Dan,

Are you sure about the fender emblems? I've owned two and was thinking they were incorporated somehow with the lower two tone stripe that goes over both wheelwells. I have pictures somewhere. It does appear to have the correct blacked out grille and SS emblems front and rear. My buildsheet shows that the 14" ralley's were on mine when new (Mid 70's style of course). I have never seen a swivel bucket seat car that didn't also have a center console. You might have a look to see if those buckets were in fact installed at the factory. Regardless, it sounds like it is worth the money even for parts. I have also seen Laguna's with turbines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts