Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted a Chevelle, but am a novice. I have a chance to buy a 73 for 9k, runs fine just needs a carb rebuild and AC compressor, dusty but amazing paint job...details below...is this a good deal?

350 V8 with about 14,000 original miles
Hypertec coated pistons
4 bolt main
Forged steel crank
Th-350 (b & m transkit)
Roller rockers
6 angle valve job - 1:6 ratio
Comp. Cam
10 bolt - auburn high performance limited slip differential 3:42's
Boxed in upper trailing arms
Lakewood ladder bars
3-5" raise over stock in back
MSD ignition
Holley 650 double pumper
Holley electric fuel pump
Edelbrock performer rpm manifold
Hooker headers
8" harmonic balancer
High volume water pump
High volume oil pump
Magnaflow dual exhaust

Cragar rims with spinners
Recently painted outside
Recently upholstered interior
Gages inside
Upgraded radio system

Covered hoses, very little rust and almost everything is painted.

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
Lakewood ladder bars

as I read down the list, those two things jumped out at me as potential "hooptification". Aka, things you may have to undo to make proper. ( i might include the 1.6 ratio rockers in that)

So to Al's point, pics, and detailed ones to see build quality. As a shoddy build may not be worth anywhere near 9k. A nice one, certainly could be.

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
644 Posts
Again, we need some pictures. The ‘73 and up aren’t the most collectible but are gaining steam. Personally, I think the ‘73 was a good looking car. It’s probably because I had a poster of one in my bedroom 25 years ago. It was the silver Baldwin/Motion car. But, that’s neither here nor there. Post pictures of the good and bad, then we can make an assessment. Welcome to Team Chevelle!

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle
and I agree with what "427L88" said in his # 3 Post
Plus these others ;
- 10 bolt - auburn high performance limited slip differential 3:42's
not strong enough for Hard Driving & Racing / not Rebuildable
and are the Lower Rear Control Arms also Boxed ?

Also what Rad & Fan Setup / any separate Trans Cooler /
how close/position is the A/C Condenser to the Rad Core
Pics of the Front/Grill Side of the Rad and Engine Side of the Rad would be great

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I would be very cautious with fresh paint. Could be covering serious rust issues. That generation are very hard to find parts for, body parts, interior parts, trim , etc. Nothing is reproduced.

Reactions: NickeyChevelle

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
and are the Lower Rear Control Arms also Boxed ?
Those ladder bars will cover any and all ills of the rear suspension. Rides like a truck and still hits good even with fragged bushings.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
As a car crazed young-un fueled by brother's hotrods, rat fink renderings and amt/mpc/monogram, I literally ran out of 1/25 models and settled on a '73 chevelle half heartedly. After finishing and planting it on the shelf, I found myself giving it more attention than quite a few in my collection. Great lines, stance and looked fantastic with the wider tires all four corners.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
They looka lot better when the bumpers are modified/ cut way down.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've always wanted a Chevelle, but am a novice. I have a chance to buy a 73 for 9k, runs fine just needs a carb rebuild and AC compressor, dusty but amazing paint job...details below...is this a good deal?

350 V8 with about 14,000 original miles
Hypertec coated pistons
4 bolt main
Forged steel crank
Th-350 (b & m transkit)
Roller rockers
6 angle valve job - 1:6 ratio
Comp. Cam
10 bolt - auburn high performance limited slip differential 3:42's
Boxed in upper trailing arms
Lakewood ladder bars
MSD ignition
Holley 650 double pumper
Holley electric fuel pump
Edelbrock performer rpm manifold
Hooker headers
8" harmonic balancer
High volume water pump
High volume oil pump
Magnaflow dual exhaust

Cragar rims with spinners
Recently painted outside
Recently upholstered interior
Gages inside
Upgraded radio system

Covered hoses, very little rust and almost everything is painted. View attachment 710778 View attachment 710779 View attachment 710780 View attachment 710781
Posted some pics...thanks to all who replied.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I like that body style a lot. I am, however, NOT a fan of the custom modifications to this particular car.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
I like that body style too, had friends with a 74 and a 75. The 73 is better looking of the series IMO. I am also not a fan of that much customization, but from here the car looks very clean. The upholstery looks good and is not customized. Be concerned with the condition of the interior hard plastics, these start to sort of flake and basically come about over time. As mentioned already, parts are hard to find for these and many of the interior plastics are hard to come by / not reproduced. Same for exterior window trim, and the quarter window trim is unobtanium. With 14k original miles, the body panels should/would be good, but check the paint job well for hidden damage. (Hopefully those are original miles and it's not been rolled 100K.)

I would assume that with painted suspension parts, fuel tank, inner fenders and what not that things are in pretty good condition. Unless up close it turns out to be a lot of rattle can work. Again, not my style but I could live with that if the rest of the car was good, all there and is represented correctly. I could either live with those things or unravel them a bit over time. You can pick up old, non restored or basic ham-fisted hot-rodded ones for 3-4 grand that would need a lot more than 5-6K of investment to get them to the condition that one is in even if it's not the color / style that people on here like. That's worth something in my opinion (if not your pocket book).

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I always liked the 73’s. Great looking azz.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Looks like its in great condition. If you like it then I would say its a fairly good deal.

However your first project should be buying spray paint and new wire looms and start painting all that red black.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
So does the engine that’s currently in the car have 14K miles on it or does the vehicle have 14K miles on it?
I would be highly skeptical if they are claiming the car has 14K miles on it.
We see classics all the time here with low mileage claims. The majority are bogus. Besides with a 50 year old car the mileage is inconsequential.
For the mileage to be only 14K that’s an average of 291 miles per year. Doesn’t make sense and is more likely to be 114K or even 214K.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The 73-76 Malibu/Laguna made great looking NASCAR stockers too.

Reactions: davewho1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts