Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 72 SS EC.It all seems orig.but someone has re painted the dash black,the chrome edges are now black.Any ideas on how to get the chrome edges back?? How hard is it to get the dash back out?? Help???? And yes it is a chevelle dash not a monte carlo,it has the seat belt lite..

------------------

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hope this helps. These people are in the business of dash rapair and restoration. They be able to answer a few of your questions.

www.dashrestorations.com/index.html

------------------
Jim Morrison
71 SS 454

[This message has been edited by MY LS5 (edited 08-27-99).]

[This message has been edited by MY LS5 (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Monte Dash has the woodgrain insert the Chevelle doesn't.
I just did my dash the other day I recently bought a used dash because mine was cracked and someone had hacked up where the radio goes .Have you heard of eastwoods Gold cad plate sray kit? I took the base coat silver, which looks exactly like the almost chrome that is on those dashes, I sprayed around all areas where the chrome goes. let it dry over night. take some 3M fineline tape, get the blue stretchy kind, this is great for masking tight curves. Mask off the outer perimeter chrome with the 1/4 inch tape,then mask off the trim around each guage with the 1/8 inch tape, and also where the air ducts go. Don't mask off the the small round holes where the hi beam, brake and directional lights go, they should be kept black, and also the seatbelt warning, that should also be black. then mask off any other areas where you don't want color to go. My dash is all black, so I used marhide's black satin, it comes in a spray can. spray a about 3 or 4 coats, let dry between coats. Then take a pencil with a nice new eraser, put some silver on it, the carefully daub it on the wiper and lighter letters. Then Unmask every thing.Pull the tape off very slowly it will take some of the chrome shine with it.But It looks factory, just like my original dash.If your dash is a different color other than black, then you'll have to get some interior paint mexed to your color, but the area around the gauges should be black.
But remember, before you do any painting, take the dash out of the car and everything that will unbolt off the dash, then wash it with soap & water. I used white wall cleaner. After it dries Then scuff it down with a red scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down with body wash.

Good luck!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Flywheel

I have gone through this process myself with the dash bezel removed from the car. Check out my prosess in the body shop section, you will find it doing a search under this topic "Repainting a 71ss dash-face"... Was very happy with my results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.