Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiper motor on my 72 El Camino does not look like the other 68-72 wiper/washer motors that I have seen. Most have washer motor on top, connected to a canister, which I believe is part of the washer motor.

The one that I have just appears to be the wiper portion, but not quite. It does not have the attached canister and it does have a different shape than a standard wiper motor.

Could this be an aftermarket wiper/washer or did chevy change the wiper/washer motor config sometime in 72?

Since the washer portion does not work anyway, I pulled an original from the junkyard. I hooked it up and noticed that the switch appears backwards. Stop is high, low is low, and high is off.

Could my switch be installed upside down? The washer portion of the switch activates on the physical low and the physical high. It cannot be pressed in the physical off position.

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks for reading this far!

Tom.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'll try a little bit on this except I'm not sure of the exact question. Anyway:
To the best of what I know, Chevy did not change the motor assembly mid-year. I have a 72 Chevelle and they only carry 2 different types of motors, hidden wiper and non-hidden wiper.
It's almost impossible to mount the switch upside down. You would have to remove it from the metal bracket and almost glue it back it place.
You do know that the switch provides the ground to the wiper motor. Is this what you are trying?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me clarify.

The switch that I am concerned about is the interior slide switch. When I connect the new (junkyard) motor to the car, and the interior slide switch is in the off position, the wiper motor is running on high.

On your 72, can you invoke the washer when your windshield wipers are running on high?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"The switch that I am concerned about is the interior slide switch. When I connect the new (junkyard) motor to the car, and the interior slide switch is in the off position, the wiper motor is running on high."

Sounds like one of the blue wires it shorted to ground. In normal operation ground runs to the switch and selects the wires from the motor winding to operate it. Unplug the wiper motor connector under the hood and measure the wires to ground (NOT THE YELLOW, probably best to disconnect the battery). The blues should not be grounded in the OFF position.

"On your 72, can you invoke the washer when your windshield wipers are running on high?"

Can't say I ever tried it. I'll check it later and let you know no one else chimes in. The switch connector can not be installed upside down. There is a large keying pin that only allows the connector to go on one way.
I have a photo of the switch rear side with the leads identified. I'll send that to your address later on tonight. Has a truth table with it that shows what contacts are shorting (closed) in which position. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ground runs to the switch?

I was lazy, and did not replace the original motor assy. I just used the connectors to connect the junkyard one and used the body of the motor as the ground.

I'll bet this invalidates all the testing that I have done?

Thanks,

Tom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts