Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 72 SS to restore. I need to locate a vin & paint decoding site and could someone tell me how the engine # is suppose to match the vin.
Gauge ? half the time my amp gauge stops 180o off. My tach is not working could someone give me an idea how it is wired.
(notes) car is a 350 4 brrl, 3 speed auto,distributor has been change to a high volt with coil in cap.
Thanks Paul

Edit thanks tach is fixed/vin info is posted

[This message has been edited by Bedoe (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Post your vin and cowl tag #'s here and we will be glad to decode for you. Matching #'s engine means that the last six digits of one of the #'s stamped on the block pad match the last six digits of the VIN.
Amp gauge problem sounds like a loose connection.
Tach hook up is a separate wire from rear of tach (tan I think) through firewall to negative side of coil. Sounds like you have an HEI distributor, in which case the tach would connect to the TACH terminal on the distributor. My factory tach works fine with an HEI, but I have read other post here that have had problems with factory tach and HEI distributors. It might depend on what year HEI you have.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.