Team Chevelle banner

72 SS guages/dash

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  protouring72 
#1 ·
I have a 72 chevelle and it has the long sweeping speedo needle. Is it possible to swap over to the round style guages? I saw that dakota digital offers a digital conversion for the round guages only and i would like to do either or. Thanks for any info you can provide on this subject

#2 ·
use the 'search' on this site, you will find a lot on this. here is a link with some good wiring info (also get the manual): http://members.home.net/jimmy4/conversion.htm
There are several people that restore dashes, let me know if you need contacts. I decided to restore my slightly crusty original, but you can get excellent replacements.

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 12-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 12-18-2000).]

#3 ·
I just finished a similar changeover. I strongly recommend that you use original dash and under-hood wiring harnesses when you convert to "SS" dash. It will make the job much easier. If you don't, you'll have to make small but frustrating wiring changes to your original harnesses to get all the gauge stuff functional. Depending on the options your car has, it may be even more difficult ie: power seats/windows/convertible/ac/console/etc.. I personally think it's worth it to start with an SS gauge wiring harness. Took me two weeks begin to finish, working a couple hours a night. Not a bad investment of time considering the resulting look (MAJOR IMPROVEMENT) Hope this helps, Steve

#4 ·
pro
Did you know that Dakota Digital will custom build a dash display for your 72 sweep dash. You would have to send them the speedo cluster, but they told me that they do this frequently. The cost is about 25 percent more than the dash for the SS dash. I've been investigating this for future reference.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

#5 ·
Try a search using the key word "beavrab". If you don't turn up anything, let me know and I'll see if I can find his sweep dash to Autometer gage conversion page.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 12-18-2000).]

#8 ·
Thanks for all your help in this area. I think I'll give it a try this winter.

------------------
383SBC-511HP-700R4-Denny's Aluminum Driveshaft-12Bolt-3.73's-Complete Hotchkis Suspension-Baer Racing 4 Wheel Disc Brakes Cross Drilled & Slotted-Fine Lines Stainless Brake Lines-PST Polygraphite Bushings-Hooker Super Comp Headers Jet Hot Coated-3" exhaust Flowmaster 2 Chamber-17"Budnik Wheels-17x11Rear w/315/35 and 17x8Front w/245/45 BFG G-Force KD-Bilstein Shocks-AGR Steering Box-S&P Serpentine Belt Drive-Be Cool Aluminum Radiator-Dual 11" Spal Fans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.