Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again,
I've re-pinned my used 70/71 guage dash harness
to tie into my new 72 hei engine harness. I've pull the dash harness completly out,and connected to the engine harness in the engine compartment.
On the dash cluster connector, pins #5-(black or purple wire) and #6-(black with double white stripes) are getting 12 volts with the key off.
Is this ok? and does anybody have a the pinout
to this 12-pin connector?

I ran the 70/71 tach wire thru the bulkhead,
with the tach wire connected, the car won't start.
Also, the oil light and the lower right light of the speedo stays on. Also faulty readings from the gas and temp guages.

Thanks
72 454 convert 4-speed
white W/ black stripes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, one more thing, to make sure,
Is there a difference in this dash cluster connector pinout between a full ss guage and a
ss light dash. Ive got the full guage dash.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is a 70-72 full gauge cluster connector pinout. It includes instructions on changing from light to gauge.

Did you ground the cluster? Are there any brakes in the copper traces on the circuit card?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Elree,
By looking at the dash connector this must have been a 70-71 dash harness for an ss light dash.
I'll repin this connector to your pic.
Before, the harness was fully connected (with grounds) with errors noted from the previous threads. Now i'm checking it only connected to the bulkhead and my
voltmeter ground to the battery (-).
Question on your pin out- #3 & #4 Am i to run a new wire to the horn relay thru the bulkhead or thru firewall, and wheres the junction block? #9 was this the separated wire from the harness? and can i run this though the bulkhead, as i'm trying to do now?
Thanks
Rodney Mathewson

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
That explains why things weren't working.

Your new engine harness will have the amp gauge wiring. I have wires made up for the amp gauge, with the bow terminals for the cluster connector and the female terminals for the bulkhead connector. e-mail if interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I think I'm getting closer....

But as for this dash cluster connector, I'm
still confused, I thought this harness was for
a full guage harness, but all the wires are there but in different order.

Can't I just re-pin the bow terminals in this connector to match the the setup on a full guage
cluster. The other ends should match up to the re-pinned bulkhead connector.

As for the amp wires, I read the other posts on connecting these wires. I'm in the same boat as "Steve". I have no junction block. But still only one post on the horn relay. where do these
wires from pins #3 & 4 connect to? Aren't these the same wires that go to "CX" and "DX" to the bulkhead "engine harness"? :confused:
Thanks
Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Rodney

If your engine harness is for the optional gauge dash it will have a wire, black with an orange 20 ga fusible link, attached to the large, battery, post on the starter solenoid to DX on the bulkhead connector and will have a wire, black/white wire with an 20 ga orange fusible link, attached to a soldered junction in the engine harness, basically it connects to the horn relay, to CX on the bulkhead connector. If the engine harness has these two wires in the CX and DX locations then all you need is wires from the same locations on the dash side of the bulkhead connector to the #3 contact, black/white and the #4 contact, back.

If your dash harness has all 12 of the wires shown in the diagram then you can just move them to the correct locations. Can’t imagine why the wires/contacts would be in the wrong locations as the gauge cluster wiring is the same for all three years.

The light dash connector will have 10 wires, missing the tach wire and the two amp gauge wires, and will have a brown wire for the GEN light that is not on the gauge dash connector.

You stated that the dash harness has the separate tach wire indicating to me that you do have a gauge dash harness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elree,
The new engine harness is for a 72 HEI m/trans
with full guages. I remember seeing the fusible
links. but i'll confirm the connections at the bulkhead connector tonite.

As for the dash harness, its got all 12 wires in the cluster connector. and brown tach wire is part of the connector(i think), just not taped to the harness bundle.I was told be the previous owner to run this wire thru the firewall to the (-) dist. But I ran this into the bulkhead to "AY".

The cluster connector right now is:
1-lt blue(2)-wires
2-grey
3-pink
4-heavy ga brown
5-black
6-black w/dble white stripes
7-tan
8-tan
9-dk green
10-lt green
11-blue
12-dk blue(2)-wires

I'll be changing #3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 to your new pinouts. Also, I'll verify connections on the circuit board to the guages.

Thanks
Rodney

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I changed the pinouts on the cluster connector. Much better now. got the tach,gas, temp
still no clock, but 12 volts to the orange wire, probably defective. Still one puzzle, the dual lt blue and dk blue wires for turn signals. what i believe should be the dual dk blue wires, is one dark and one light blue. I noticed that using the turn signals, the outer lights are correct, but the dash indicators are somewhat opposite. I get the right for left, and the left both light. I'll have to chase this down. looking at the terminals on this connectors, all the crimpng looked factory.
If i knew now, when i started, i would have made sure i had a 72 dash harness to fit.

THanks to all
Rodney M
72 chevelle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as for the turn signals,
a new signal relay took care of the problem

Rodney M
72 convert.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts