Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 71 malibu that I want to install a SS gauge dash into. The dash came out of a 72 velle. What I need to know is will the 72 SS dash wiring mate to the existing 71 engine harness. If not do I need a 72 engine harness or can the 71 bee modified. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
BERT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
What I have to work with is a 71 malibu, a SS Dash and a SS gauge set. The dash and the SS gauge set came out of a 72. I did some research in the archives and found some useful info but what would the easist to do. I have no SS dash harness so I know I need that but what year do you suggest to get to make it work and do I need to change my engine harness?
Thanks
BERT

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Bert

You need a 71 dash harness, 70 will also work, 72 will not work, It can be altered and used but is not a direct replacement.

Under the hood you have two harnesses, the forward lamp harness and the engine harness.

The forward lamp harness for the gauge dash option has wiring for the amp gauge. You can add the needed amp gauge wiring to the existing harness or a new harness would be better.

The engine harness is the same for either application. It is not a bad idea to replace the engine harness as it is the one that is typically in the worst condition, 30+ years on a hot oily engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts