Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
around the spedo there is four holes. the two uppers are the turn sig. the bottom left is the oil press i think, but what is the one in the lower right.

thanks
hilljack

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the replies!

I bought a real nice 72 ss tach dash for my 70 chevelle. it looks really nice it has the dual speaker dash pad and comes with both under dash and engine harness. It's all in great shape. I'm not thrilled about the seat belt warning light but I had not seen a setup this complete and nice for the price in a few years so I had to jump on it. I pretty much gave up hope looking for one at a decent price until this one came along.

I will be deciding how to proceed with the change of a 70 six banger car to ss tach dash from 72 with seat belt warning. I want to make the seat belt warning light operational also. The theme of the car is a restification and to look factory. one of the upgrades will be internal voltage regulator. the wire harness that came with the dash has a external voltage regulator. I guess they still used that in 72? I might use the ford style solenoid also "YUCKY" I hate to say that.

The plan so far is to use the tach dash harness and to add the wires into the existing six banger harness from the fuse block out. I have the factory manuals for a 70 but I will need to buy the book for a 72 in order to match everything up unless someone would like to trade 70 wire diagram for a 72. I could make copies but it might be easier to buy the 72 book. I like the six banger harness, the alternator wires are on the drivers side down low for a low mount alternator. a lot cleaner looking!

I have heard from reading all the posts on this kick but site that they moved some relay or something from engine to under dash harness. If this is the case I will have to make sure to remove it from the existing engine harness.

o well the dash install will have to wait until a later date. going to harbor freight to get a spring compressor so I can bust down my frame today. long way to go!

hilljack

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Just so you know...

The tach inside the guage cluster will NOT work properly with the 6 cylinder engine you have. All of these tachs were designed for use with 8 cylinder engines. It will give inaccurate/spurratic readings if you hook it up.

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH

Only 5 more months till spring arrives in the midwest

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dood,

i would never worry about running a tach dash with a six banger! it's going to have a 406!

hilljack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts