Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have just started a rebuild on my 72 SS 454. This is a number matching car that has been my Fathers since 1974 and I want to look like it did when it was new. I have a few questions and would appreciate any input you may have.

1. After tearing it down the only thing that showed any wear was the cam. I need to replace it and would like to put in a little bigger cam but I'm not sure what to do?

2. How much difference will I notice if I have some porting and polishing done to the heads? Is this not a good idea? Should I just leave them alone?

3. I have always liked the sound of timing gears, but I have never heard them from inside the car. I have been told that the sound gets a little old from inside, what are your thoughts on this option?

4. The car has had headers for as long as I can remember and I would like to keep that even though its not original. I need to replace the headers along with the entire exhaust system, I would like some opinions on what I should go with? I want to hear it!

5. I've searched the forums looking for factory engine colors and haven't found much. I know the block, heads, valve covers, etc are orange, but what color orange?

Any thoughts on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have just started a rebuild on my 72 SS 454. This is a number matching car that has been my Fathers since 1974 and I want to look like it did when it was new. I have a few questions and would appreciate any input you may have.

1. After tearing it down the only thing that showed any wear was the cam. I need to replace it and would like to put in a little bigger cam but I'm not sure what to do?

2. How much difference will I notice if I have some porting and polishing done to the heads? Is this not a good idea? Should I just leave them alone?

3. I have always liked the sound of timing gears, but I have never heard them from inside the car. I have been told that the sound gets a little old from inside, what are your thoughts on this option?

4. The car has had headers for as long as I can remember and I would like to keep that even though its not original. I need to replace the headers along with the entire exhaust system, I would like some opinions on what I should go with? I want to hear it!

5. I've searched the forums looking for factory engine colors and haven't found much. I know the block, heads, valve covers, etc are orange, but what color orange?

Any thoughts on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick
Ok I'd like to follow along on this car....see my sig.

1. Cam. Going a little bigger is a good move since the factory cam chokes the engine some. Look for something in the 268* adv range. The Lunati voodoo 60203 is a great match for your 454. BUT I suggest going with a small hydraulic roller cam for longevity.

2.For the street......don't bother.
3. see #2

4.I like Headman headers myself. They seem to fit better than others IMO.
exhaust & mufflers are a personal choice....I like Flowmasters while others HATE them. See my video in my signature....Exhaust manifolds with Flowmaster 2 1/2 pipe with super 40 mufflers.

5.Simply 'Chevy Orange' the best I've used is VHT brand.

Feel free to 'PM' me with any other questions if you like.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to order gaskets and wanted to know what you guys suggest? Is there a kit that's better than another? I want one that is complete with everything that I need.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
72 SS 454 rebuild (Update)

Just thought I would give an update on my rebuild project. It's been moving along pretty slowly but I am making progress! I've spent countless hours sand blasting every bolt, washer, brackets, pullys, valve covers, intake and anything else I could clean. Everything now has primmer and two coats of paint. The block and heads were sent to the machine shop and I have them back. The block was bored out .30, the heads were resurfaced and they machined new brass valve guides and installed them. I've installed new frost plugs in the block and have primmer and paint on everything. All of my parts have been in for a while, so now its time to start reassembling!:D I'll keep up with the updates and new pictures as I progress.

Nick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Re: 72 SS 454 rebuild (Update)

Just thought I would give an update on my rebuild project. It's been moving along pretty slowly but I am making progress! I've spent countless hours sand blasting every bolt, washer, brackets, pullys, valve covers, intake and anything else I could clean. Everything now has primmer and two coats of paint. The block and heads were sent to the machine shop and I have them back. The block was bored out .30, the heads were resurfaced and they machined new brass valve guides and installed them. I've installed new frost plugs in the block and have primmer and paint on everything. All of my parts have been in for a while, so now its time to start reassembling!:D I'll keep up with the updates and new pictures as I progress.

Nick
Lookin' good. keep the updates coming!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome to the site Nick from a fellow New Englander! Good to see more and more of these cars in this neck of the woods. We have a big Chevelle show in Sturbridge Mass every August. Pm me if youre interested in the details or about the New England Chevelle group.
Great car by the way - need more pics of the car itself!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts