Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some researching I'm finding conflicting info between R59 and R89S or R89W batteries for a '72. Was one or the other standard/optional? The car is a '72 SS w/402, automatic, A/C. Also as I understand it would have originally been side post as well, is that correct? Thanks in advance :beers:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Troy, your 72 should definitely be a side post, although not sure which R89.

I have a R89W topper, looks great.

Mike

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I was planning on the topper route too. So the R89 batteries are side posts only right?

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Now does anyone have a suggestion for a group 24 battery without top posts? So far every parts store near me has the dual posts or only top posts.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now does anyone have a suggestion for a group 24 battery without top posts? So far every parts store near me has the dual posts or only top posts.
I didn't have any luck finding a group 24 either in the correct configuration, so I ended up buying a group 78 from Costco, 800 cold cranking amps (Costco #7,made by Johnson Controls) The topper fit pretty good, I took it to the store to make sure it fit. I used a few dabs of RTV to adhere the top to the battery. I also had to make a small adapter to make the original battery hold down, to work correctly.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts