Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a nice 72 Nova steering wheel. I plan on painting it and putting it on a 72 Elky tilt column when I drop the column in my 70 Malibu.

Will my 70 Chevelle steering wheel horn shroud fit on this new wheel? Or do I just transfer the Chevrolet emblem from the elky wheel in place of the Nova emblem? The shroud looks the same there.

Here is pic of the Nova wheel.
www.wright.edu/~adams.6/nova.jpg

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-02-99).]

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Hey DG,

I must be the only one to happen to have a Malibu wheel pic

This is from my '70. The shroud is hard plastic (before the govn't. mandated crash requirements--i.e. padded wheel shroud)

Not sure if what you want to do will work.

http://home.netcom.com/~radiojoe/70wheel.jpg

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think I have a shroud to fit that, I think it says Chevrolet or Chevelle.When you come south, I'll let you have it!
I don't have any use for it.I'll look and see, and let you know.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe, I have a 70 Chevelle wheel that is severly cracked. I am pretty sure the 72 Nova wheel will fit on the 72 Elky tilt. So that will happen.

Thanks Doug for the offer. I'll take ya up on that.

So, now I just gotta see if my cracked 70 Chevelle shroud fits........just kinda too busy in my last quarter of college to go poking thru the garage.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The 72 wheel will fit the column and go in the chevelle, but the 70 wheel is different than the 72 and the horn center will not interchange. The 70 wheel is plastic, 72s are almost vinyl like, and in 71 they were plastic but with the 72 style horn center. If you really want to get picky and want it correct you need a 70 wheel and need to get plastic knobs for the signal and tilt instead of the rubber 72 ones...

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I finally just went out to the garage and took a good look at the Elky column & wheel. You guys are right the 70 horn shroud will not fit on the 72 Elky wheel. The horn shroud on the Elky column is in almost perfect shape. Guess I'll just swap it with the Nova shroud.

My car is on the other side of the river as far as original goes, and doubt will cross. I am sure having a tilt will more than make up for any non-original parts that find their way in there.
Thanks

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.