Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for clues to why my dash lights don't work.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need a little more information. I or someone else can point you which way to look. Hate to see you start taking everything apart.
There is a small fuse in the center bottom of the fuse panel. It is shorter in length than all the others. This is the dash light fuse. Measure each side of the fuse to ground with a tester or meter. Measure the fuse clips on each side. Problem could be a blown fuse or a dirty clip contact.
If you have no power on both sides, problem is towards the headlight switch. If you have power on both sides, (the fuse and clips measure good), problem is towards the dash lamps.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Also if you don't have power on the short fuse check the tail light fuse. The dash lights are on the same circuit as the tail lights, it gets the drivers attention if the tail lights have blown a fuse.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All right thanks for the tips. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to my topic. I'm going to get the meter and check out that fuse. Thanks John.
Elree thats news to me about the dash and tail light thing. Learn something new every day. If I have driving with out tail lights all this time I'm going to S%#& my pants.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After chasing wires, fuses, messing around in the trunk for some unkown reason, then finaly pulling the dash (had to any way) I found the problem with my dash lights. the spring coil on the headlight switch was corroded. But the whole problem is not fixed yet though. The turn signals inside the car still do not work. I thought the front blinkers and the dash blinkers ran the same wire. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Great news. That wound coil of wire is the dimmer rheostat. You do know that headlight switches can be bought over the counter. Chevy used them for years. The one in my 64 was an almost new one I got out of a 78 Nova. Paid $1.50 for it.

"The turn signals inside the car still do not work. I thought the front blinkers and the dash blinkers ran the same wire."

You are correct. They do get 12 volts from the same turn signal wire. However they get ground from different locations. Have you tried to check around at the dash turn signal lamps for 12 volts? If so, and you have it, dirty sockets or poor dash ground.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exelent, Come on 3:30. I can't wait to get out of here and see if there is voltage at the light I never thought to check that close to the problem.
P.S. I'v got to join this team. The knowledge here is unparrallel. Although, I guess I'm going to have to be very wise in any response to a topic. You guys are brutal.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Almost sounds like the dash ground was your original problem. I didn't read into your first post that the turn signal lamps were not working, only the dash lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thougt they were related problems but there not. The dash lights are working now, after a great saturday morn trip to the bone yard. I found all kinds of goodies, including a chevy tissue holder in great condition, never seen one before, I always wondered what those 2 holes under the dash where for. But-anyway I'v been hanging around this site for about a week now and I love it. Its not just me but, i will , well, you now what i mean.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Boy my mouth is running today. Still getting some work done.
Did you find a 72? Pick up the horn relay? Screwed on the firewall near the brake booster. These were only used on a couple of different cars, 72 Chevelle and 72,73? Nova and ?. I think I may have found a source for new ones but they are hard to find out there. Sent 2 out to members in the last year and a half. Nobody grabs them until they need them (oops, I should shut up. This is an open forum.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts