Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a car cruise recently and saw a 72 Malibu that appeared mostly original. The owner stated that it had the original engine a 400 small block. That was the first one that I had ever seen. I did not realize that Chevelles were produced with a 400 small block? Are they considered a rare vehicle???

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
400sbc were used in Wagons because of the torque. In A Malibu? Not to many. I have not seen any myself. I'm sure there out there. I have seen it in big cars.
They were not used in any Chevelle. If it's there it's because someone other than the factory put it there. You could get a 402 BBC that was called a 400 in non SS Chevelles.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You could get a 400 in an El Camino beginning in about 1973.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
You could get a 400 in an El Camino beginning in about 1973.
Yes, starting in September 1973 (just before the Arab Oil Embargo) you could get a 400 2-barrel small block in 1974 model Chevelles, Monte Carlos & El Caminos (Monte Carlo had offered the 400 small block for 1970 as well). The 400 small block was offered through 1976.

A TC member from Isreal, Shai (ChaosMalibu) , used to own a 1972 Chevelle Malibu 4-door that was either exported or built as a CKD (parts shipped overseas and asssembled in an overseas plant) that supposedly had a 400 small block in it from the factory. That is certainly an exception to the rule.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This owner had a little print out about the car and its options. The hood was open and there was definately a small block under there. When I saw the "original 400" write up. I did not believe it. I asked the owner and he said that it was 400 small block. I told him I did not know Chevelles were built with that motor. He said he was the original owner. I did not push the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
It could had been a late model. If that is the case, Then it can be rare model. In 1970 chevy built the 400, so you never know. It's possible the original engine (typically a 350) was bad and the dealer could had install a 400 instead.:confused:
The ONLY way if it is orginal is the numbers on the pad on the passenger side (on the block) behind the alt. are matching numbers. The last two or three letters on the pad will tell you where it belong.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Over the years there have been some discussions regarding the availability of the "400" engine in 70-72 Chevelles. In the Monte Carlo, there is NO question whatsoever that either a SB or BB were both available. But in the Chevelle, it's a different issue.
For a fact, a "400" engine WAS available in the 70-72 Chevelle. But which, or both, is the issue. It is an undisputed fact that the BB402 WAS available------------and in the literature, it is referred to as a 400-4bl. But in various literature, publications and manuals, there is BOTH a 400-4bl and a 400-2bl listed for the Chevelle. We all know that up until 75, a 400-2bl was ONLY a SB400, and a 400-4bl was a BB402. In 75, the SB400 became available with a 4bl carb (Q-jet).
I for one have never disputed the availability of a SB400 in a 70-72 Chevelle, but I've never seen one documented. I have seen 70-72 Monte Carlos with a SB400 as well as a BB400 (402).
To satisfy me, documentation would include BOTH a build sheet and a block with the VIN stamped on it (and yes, I can tell the difference between a factory VIN stamp and a re-stamp).
Soooooooooooo, was a SB400 ever FACTORY installed in a 70-72 Chevelle? I've never seen one and don't know of any that are documented. But, neither do I deny their existance.

Oh, and did I mention that my 70 Malibu conv has a SB400? :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had one of the 70' Monte's with a factory 400sb but it was only offered in the 2bbl.

I also thought the 400sb 2bbl was offered from 70-72' but was rarely bought as it was a higher cost option than the 300hp 350 with I think only claimed to make 265hp.
Yet it made a fairly low rpm 400lbs torque and 265 hp with only a 2bbl.

I bought the 70 Monte from a guy that bought it used in the mid 70's and I was told the car would flat run to be bone stock and a 2bbl.

-Bobby-

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
You probably don't have the luxury of being able to scrutinize the v.i.n. of the car in question, nor the block codes on the engine. Being a 1972, the 5th character in the v.i.n. (visible on the dash from the outside by the base of the windsheild in front of the driver) will tell what engine came with the car originally.

I highly doubt that it was a factory-built Chevelle with a 400 small block.

The 400 small block (Turbo-Fire as it was called) was introduced for 1970. It was optional in the Big car line (Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Caprice plus corresponding wagons), plus it was offered in the Monte Carlo (carrying no external indication that it was a 400). Starting 1971 the 400 small block was full-sized cars only, and became standard in the Caprice series & Kingswood Estate wagons. It was optional in other full size cars in lower series. Same in 1972. In 1973 it was still standard in the Caprice (now called Caprice Classic) and optional on all lesser series wagons, plus the Impala Custom coupe only. When it was an optional status engine it carried "400" numerals on the fenders that year.
For 1974 the 400 2-barrel remained standard on the Caprice Classic, and was now standard on all full-sized wagons with a 4-barrel. It was now optional on all lesser series Big cars, plus it became a new option on the Chevelles & El Caminos (& Sprints). It also returned to the Monte Carlo for the 1st time since 1970. Of course the 402 big block (Turbo-Jet 400) was gone after 1972. California got 4-barrel carbs only in 1974.

For 1975 the 400 was now 4-barrel only and available in all full-sized cars as an option (the Caprice Classic reverted to a 350 as standard after the oil crisis) and would remain the standard Big wagon engine. It also remained an option on Chevelles & Monte Carlos. The 400 became optional in the light duty trucks starting in 1975, being offered in the G-vans & 4-wheel drive K-trucks (pickups, Blazers, Suburbans & chassis-cabs). 1976 was the same as 1975. After 1976 the 400 was offered in the light duty trucks as mentioned through 1980.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
How about Chevelle's built in Canada? Sometime you will get one with an oddball engine.
I have seen 65 or 66 Canadian built Pontiac GTO with a dual quad 409W engine. The owner told me it was made for Canada and it was all original.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
How about Chevelle's built in Canada? Sometime you will get one with an oddball engine.
I have seen 65 or 66 Canadian built Pontiac GTO with a dual quad 409W engine. The owner told me it was made for Canada and it was all original.
They built the GTO in Canada in 1970 & 1973 only. They began selling the GTO for Canadian consumption, sourced from the U.S. of A, around 1968/69. They NEVER built GTO with anything other than a Pontiac engine. The W-motors were never factor installed in an A-body (Mr409 at this site swapped one in, but it took a lot of determination).

The 409 was dropped from production around December 1964 in the 1965 models, but in Canada they may have continued installing them until the end of the 1965 model year (in Chevrolets & Canadian full-sized Pontiacs). Dual quads on a Canadian-built 409 were dealer or owner installed (only the 400-horse single 4-barrel was offered new).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to have a '71 "400 Malibu" (like in the photo posted). Now, when I got it, it had a Pontiac 400/TH400 in it out of a '68 Bonneville. I finally tracked the last titled owner down, and called him. He told me he bought it locally from original owner, and it was a "396". He proceeded to hotrod it around town, and blew it up. Working at a Salvage yard, he had access to all kinds of engines/transmissions. The wildest one he said was a '70 Caddy 500. After spinning a bearing, he put the Pontiac in it, then sold it.
In all reality, I should have kept it: body was straight, had a factory 12 bolt, Power Disc Brakes, AC. I sold it to finance my '68 GTO :(

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
A TC member from Isreal, Shai (ChaosMalibu) , used to own a 1972 Chevelle Malibu 4-door that was either exported or built as a CKD (parts shipped overseas and asssembled in an overseas plant) that supposedly had a 400 small block in it from the factory. That is certainly an exception to the rule.
That's right..
My 72 Chevelle had a 400 sbc matching numbers engine in it... i don't remember the engine code by heart.. but if i remember correctly it was like the MC 400 sbc engine code..

But then again.. my car also came with a 200kph speed dash and all kinds of "Exported" car goodies.. :) too bad it was a 4dr..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts