Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i'm picking up my first chevelle this thursday.it is a 1972 2 door original car (paint also) has had only 2 owners frame and body are beautiful except a few dings in the body! there were 2 holes in the trunk tht have been repaired 10 yrs again before he put it away,,,he greased everything (all the pans and layed the carpet back over) The interior is tired looking but no rips and the dash is beautiful...now for the soso bad news its a 6 banger! oh well im paying 2000 canadian canadian,,is this reasonable? i plan on keeping it original for now but i know i'll get the itch to rip out the 6 for some real chevy muscle. cheers...pics to come once i pick her up!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hi everyone i'm picking up my first chevelle this thursday.it is a 1972 2 door original car (paint also) has had only 2 owners frame and body are beautiful except a few dings in the body! there were 2 holes in the trunk tht have been repaired 10 yrs again before he put it away,,,he greased everything (all the pans and layed the carpet back over) The interior is tired looking but no rips and the dash is beautiful...now for the soso bad news its a 6 banger! oh well im paying 2000 canadian canadian,,is this reasonable? i plan on keeping it original for now but i know i'll get the itch to rip out the 6 for some real chevy muscle. cheers...pics to come once i pick her up!
Yes, that is a deal/steal! Looking forward to pics...

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Welcome, Barry! It sounds like a deal to me. A '72 Chevelle is a great project car that you can work on yourself and learn on. A small block will be an easy swap in place of the six, while a big block will mean more drivetrain changes. Does your car have a Powerglide, manual steering & brakes? In '71 & '72 a six & TH350 in a Chevelle were available in Canada only.

·
Registered
113 Posts
congrats on an awesome find !!!!!!!!!!:hurray:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update.. i found a 454 for 1500 canadian...would this be to much work to plop in? I figure it would tear the ass end out of my car!...anyway the engine is running as it is stock (not recently rebuilt) is it to much money? Sorry for all the questions guys but i'm pumped to have a Chevelle ,,,,FINALLY! ps..i don't have a lot of money so if i have to change the whole drivetrain around i wouldn't be able to afford it. thx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome, Barry! It sounds like a deal to me. A '72 Chevelle is a great project car that you can work on yourself and learn on. A small block will be an easy swap in place of the six, while a big block will mean more drivetrain changes. Does your car have a Powerglide, manual steering & brakes? In '71 & '72 a six & TH350 in a Chevelle were available in Canada only.
I will give you all the final specs tommorow as i pick her up!! right down to the nitty gritty!

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Hey Barry! I just joined tday as well, so welcome from a fellow newcomer! I applaud you for seeing the potential of this car. The six is a minor hurdle that shouldn't cause you to pass it up. I got rid of my first car a few years back...a '69 Camaro with a six. That was a small part of the reason I let it go. If I only knew then what I know now........

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
2000 Canadian...........thats like 25 bucks American isn't it?:D

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
hi Cam about the tranny i don't know..the shifter is on the column sorry.
Looking at the shift indicator, a Powerglide reads 'Park R N D L', whereas a Turbohydramatic reads 'Park R N D L2 L1'. In '71 & '72 you could get either trans behind the six in a Chevelle if it is a Canadian-built car, but in the U.S. the Powerglide was the only automatic behind the six in a Chevelle those years. A Canadian-built '72 will have a '1' I believe as the 7th digit in the v.i.n. The cowl tag will clearly say 'Made in Canada'

A Powerglide can live behind a healthy small block, but for durability they can be built pretty stout. If you are going to put money into making the trans stronger I think you'd be much better off performancewise starting with a TH350. It would be an easier swap than some other transmissions, and they are pretty good besides.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts