Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand some of the pins have to be moved around. Is there a simple answer as to what doesnt work if you don't move the pins? car has idiot lights the cluster is idiot lights, dash has no seatbelt light. car isnt a resto or anything, I just want the idiot lights to work and gauge lights to light. Heater blower,wiper would be nice too. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Simple answer- Nothing will work. The main power feed on a 71 is in the forward lamp harness, the main power feed on a 72 is in the engine harness. If that wire is not moved nothing will work. Other items that won't work-windshield wipers, temp light, probably others that I don't recall off the top of my head.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks elree, I actually did a search and found a earlier post that you did, it explained where to move each wire in the connector. I should have searched before asking. Now I just have to figure out if it actually is a 72 harness. the dash doesnt have the seat belt light. I also have the forward harness out of a 72 chevelle, I dont know if it would be easier to just swap out the front harness or swap out the pins in the bulk head. Is there any tags or easy tell tell signs to see if the harness is out of a 72 or 71? thanks Jim

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll check it out in the morning. Jim

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not all 72's have seat belt light and buzzer but all 72's have TCS delay relay and key minder buzzer in harness that 70/71's don't. But as Elree said the easiest way to tell is the wiper switch.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Jim: I have a '71 harness that is pretty good EXCEPT that some wiseguy cut off the dimmer switch connector. Do you want to swap it ? I bought a '71 dash panel thinking that it was the same as '72 and found out later that it is not.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jeff, its definetly a 72 harness, if you want to swap im game. this one doesnt look cutup all the connectors are there. Jim 885 7017

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
Hey Jeff the panel you got from me is a 72 if that is the one you are referring to. There should be a seat belt warning light in the cluster.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the heads up. Jeff just told me his is a sweep harness, unfortunatly I need a SS harness. Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts