Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, This is my first visit to this tech site, though I've had my malibu 13 years. my question is: I just picked up a 72 SS dash with gauges, from a 4 speed car, missing the clock and printed circuit. I have a 71 Malibu with the standard horizontal speedo. what all will have to be changed to get everything to function correctly?

I'd also be interested in trading the 72 dash for a 70-71 dash without the seatbelt warning-hint hint

thanks for any help.

------------------
71 Malibu 400, won holley dyno challenge
70 Toronado, floor shift
68 442 conv, Loaded
64 Cutlass, Nice!
Can you ever have too many toys?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just finished a similar conversion (71 gauge dash into a 70 Malibu). I strongly recommend you get new wiring harnesses for under-dash and under-hood. Try to get good originals or buy new from M&M (I think that's their name). The Malibu wiring will totally frustrate you, as some of the hook-ups under the dash and at the front lights will not work. The fuse block wire positions aren't compatible either. Unless you're really get into wiring work, use wiring harnesses set up for a gauge dash. You will need to change some of the sensors on the motor also (water temp./oil press). With the proper wires to work with, I found it fairly painless. Without them, I can't imagine how much time it would have taken me. Good luck, Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts