Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has a dash wiring diagram for a '72 with non-SS dash, I need to know the purpose of the following two connectors:
1. Under the steering column, two pink wires in an "L" shaped connector.
2. Under the glove box, a 4 wire connector with tan, dark blue and black wires. They are laid out like this:
_
|_|
_ _ _
|_|_|_|
T DB B

Neither was connected to anything when I started. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Alan, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but you need to buy an assembly manual. It has all the wiring diagrams in it

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have assembly manuals, service manuals and wiring diagrams for '70 AND '71. They don't show it, hence the question. I really don't think it's too much to ask.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Alan,

I am not at all certain about this, but your L shaped connector with the pink wires (they're thick, right?) is probably for your turn signal flasher.

My 70SS has two flashers. One for the hazards which plugs into a top corner of the fuse block, and the other is an L-shaped connector that sits just about behind the radio. This is the only L-shaped two wire connector I can remember.

If that is not it than consider this: Most pink wires I've seen in the wire harness are main power lines that feed power directly from the fuse block. They tend to be heavy gauge. If you have heavy pink wires, what other sort of assesory do you have that would need heavy current draw? think about it that way.

As for the other connector, the only things I can think of directly under the glove box are the blower fan resistor connection, or possibly the orginal radio hook-up that was disconnected and put out of the way. If I remember, my radio hook-up was grey, yellow and something three wire connector. I dunno for sure by memory here at work.

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two existing pink wires (one might have a white stripe) are 12-14 guage. The two prong plug could be a flasher, my '71 book says that it's a 12 guage pink and 14 guage purple wire. However, there's a flasher plugged into the fuse panel and another one high on the steering column support - I'll confirm the colors.

The second one is not the radio plug. I was thinking there was some sort of relay for the air conditioning that sent power to the compressor when you turned the key off to act as an anti-dieseling device. I was thinking the blower restistor was under the hood.

Thanks for the reply, still looking.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I vaguely remember a plug like that when I rewired the AC in my dad's 71 Malibu. There is an antideiseling solenoid that engages the compressor clutch upon switching off the ignition. The force required to turn the AC compressor is enough to prevent the motor from dieselling. I ended up disconnecting the one in my dad's car because the little relay, which has a small solid state circuit inside, was bad. BE CAREFUL: If you touch the relay with the ignition on and the relay ungrounded, you will get a nasty nasty shock, worse than 120. I don't know why, but my guess is that the little solid state circuit causes some kind of oscillation turning the relay coil into a transformer.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
368 Posts
Alan
L shaped connector is for the turn signal flasher.

4 gang connector is feed for stereo speakers.

If you need circuit numbers, wire gages, etc., post me an e-mail.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 05-19-99).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.