Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from Boston - a 3 hr trip, and I must say that I'm pleased yet disappointed.
Pleased because:The condition of the car is as advertised - body is beautiful after the 2 week old paint job - just needs to be buffed/polished now that the paint has hardened. Bumpers are new, and trim is OK.
Disappointed because: I'd say that it is NOT an original SS - it is missing a few items which from what I've read should be there if it is real:
- there is only 1 mirror, and it is not remotely operated
- there is no F41 suspension - sway bar
- the grille appears to have been painted with silver accents; I thought a true SS is all black
- the build sheet makes no mention of an SS package, but it does include an instrument cluster option(with tach), which would explain the SS Dash.
- the Steering wheel has no SS emblem (I'm not sure if it should, please clarify)- it had "Chevelle" on the horn button
Other items which need work:
- The interior had been replaced - it looks nice (not brand new), but the seat backs had been touched up to cover scratches, gouges, etc.
- The dash is original, and needs to be restored - steering wheel is cracked in 2 places
- Engine compartment needs to be cleaned up
- Firewall is original
- Frame is original
- Gas tank needs restoration

Clarification of mechanicals:
Engine sounds Very nice and strong - NOT rebuilt as previously thought. Tranny NOT rebuilt either, just new clutch and Pressure plate.

So, the car is VERY nice, body needs NOTHING, but the car is not totally restored. There is some work to do to be complete, and I don't feel it is an SS. Therefore, the magic question is, does this still justify $13K? I'd appreciate comments.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
IMO.
I don't pretend to live in a world where I can afford a $13k 30 year old car, so I gotta ask ya this.

#1) Do you have $13k?
#2) Do you want a convertible?
#3) Does it really matter if it is not an SS?
#4) If answer to #1 & #2 is yes, go get it. If you don't buy it someone else will. Life is too short to 2nd guess yourself if you want it.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm

TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Just for comparison.

I was just considering a loaded 1971 SS350 Convetible with 49,+++ documented miles and Protect-O-Plate etc. It was for sale by a Classic Car Dealer in Milwaukee, the price was $14,400. Car was flawless and needed nothing that I could tell. I missed out because someone was ahead of me and they got it.
I have to say the $13 is way out of line for a car like you describe. Search ebay, there was a real nice 71 or 72 ragtop selling there for no reserve, last I looked it was around 10G.

*Update - The car is sold but I see a few Chevelle's and a '70 Monte SS454!

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-22-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.