Team Chevelle banner

961 - 980 of 990 Posts

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Pete they arrived and look great. Not had a chance to install them yet, still waiting on the polish shop to get the tailgate trim back to me before taking the tailgate apart. Has your supplier shipped the BOP puter trim to you yet? I need that also before tearing into the tailgate.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #963
Having cup holders is great but there was no place to put my phone. The big padded front cover on the console hiding the PCM was kind of useless so it was modified. The vinyl was removed and the foam trimmed to allow for a small tray to be installed. The tray is from and 06 Silverado console lid and is made of rubber. Took about 90 minutes, besides providing a place to put the phone I think it looks better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Philip, Nice wagon, do you still have the old battery tray? The ones they sell for Chevelle / El Camino don't fit my 72 Concours.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Hi Philip, Nice wagon, do you still have the old battery tray? The ones they sell for Chevelle / El Camino don't fit my 72 Concours.
The battery tray is the same for all models. What problems are you having installing yours?

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Philip, Have you had a chance to do anymore tuning to the puter on the wagon??

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
Philip, are you pretty happy with it? was it easy to hook up? how does the speedo work, is there a sending unit at the trans and a wire to the dash or does it use the cable? any input would be good, I am strongly considering this. I have the dash apart now. the jack ran over the speedo cable and broke the screw on end, so I have to change it out anyway.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #972
Philip, Have you had a chance to do anymore tuning to the puter on the wagon??
No, but one injector went bad so I am going to change all 8.
Philip, are you pretty happy with it? was it easy to hook up? how does the speedo work, is there a sending unit at the trans and a wire to the dash or does it use the cable? any input would be good, I am strongly considering this. I have the dash apart now. the jack ran over the speedo cable and broke the screw on end, so I have to change it out anyway.
Yes I am happy with it and it is easy to hook up. An adaptor is used to convert to an electronic signal for the speedometer. It is included and screws on the transmission in place of the cable. Gear ratio, tire size or driven gear in the transmission does not matter, the speedometer is adjusted during setup. Easy to recalibrate if tires or gearing is changed.
I did get all of your tailgate parts installed, fit was great. I'll post photos soon. Also have the 2 tone tailgate trim in the shop to send to you.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Wow... what a fantastic job. Took me the better part of a week to get through this thread.

I'd be out there working on mine if it weren't so dang hot! We may only be into the 90s, but when it's 50-60-70% humidity, it's just brutal. And then add the skeeters on top of that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Oops... forgot about the attachment I had on that post - and now I can't delete it.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
Kevin thanks for taking the time to read it all. Wish it only had taken a week to build the car :)

The attachment is a dual USB charging port. I have one in the lighter opening in the dash.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Philip, I know you haven't posted lately on you build page, but I have question.

How well does the AC setup work? I'm debating if I want to copy your setup or have my evaporator and POA Valve reconditioned and recalibrated for R134 on my 72 with a LS conversion. Also plan to update the condenser to a parallel flow as well. South Carolina summers are hot, especially with the humidity. I'm want to try and make the AC as powerful as possible. I'm also using a Grand Prix evaporator case that is deeper at the fan motor area and will allow a taller fan blade to hopefully increase air flow volume.

I want to make sure that I do all I can to help the AC system. Hoping I can make it comfortable for the kids to ride in the back (third row).

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #978
Eric it works extremely well, on the last long trip at times it had to be shut off as it was too cold. This was without a high speed on the blower. Thought it was a bad switch, turned out to be a bad relay.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
The rear brake hoses and front calipers arrived today, still waiting on the rear springs.
I'm using the stock F body hoses at the rear calipers and the stock A body hose from the frame to the rear. The tabs to secure the hoses on the axle tube were cut off of the brackets that came from the brake donor car. There is a right and left bracket mounting to align the index points, the hoses are the same but mount opposite each other.
The stock 12 bolt lines were shortened and a flare nut from the donor car installed on the line before creating a bubble flare on the end to tie into the F body hose.

Whoever coined the phrase "change is good" must not have built hot rods. Seems the simplest things often get complicated. I replaced the sheet metal cover with an aluminum cover with bolts that add support to the bearing caps. Seemed simple enough until the brake hose install...and the line wouldn't reach the frame. An adjustment had to be made to the bracket to locate the hose back in the stock position. A a piece of scrap metal left over from cutting out the parking brake cable brackets was used.

Phillip,

I am currently doing this swap and wanted to ask one question :

Did you swap the backing plates to position the calipers toward the rear instead of the front ? I figure you did this to make the e-brake lever pull toward the front instead of the rear ?

I need to swap my backing plates around to do this. Seems like the easiest way to hook up the e-brake to the parking brake system.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #980
Beth I did swap the right and left backing plates to make the stock parking brake cable interface with the LS brakes easier. The parking brake cable bracket at rear wheel is the F body part cut down and bolted to the lower control arm bolt. Aligns the cable to the backing plate perfectly and the cable runs along the control arm like the stock cable did.

961 - 980 of 990 Posts