Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 990 Posts

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Tom. I will look under the dash for the third one and will remove all and save before the car goes to its grave. It appears it was unmolested until the parts removal began.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hi Philip,
I will try to find the documents that describe the TCS operatio on a 71 and post it. Seems incredibly convoluted in its operation, especially when a car is being designed and the most elegant solutions can be inplemented, instead of "make do" solutions.
Best
Tom

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did a little digging through the trash in the El Camino, found this, wires still connected...wonder if it works :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Plilip,
This is looking like a great project you have going. I will be keeping tabs on this one. There are a couple of us Az wagon boys here. When we all have our wagons all ready to roll out. We should all get together and plan a cruise up to one of the big car shows like the Route 66 show in Flag.
Best of luck with this wagon.
Matt

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Matt I would be up for that. Do not know how long before it is road worthy though. Money is the hold up, have plenty of time and desire :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Man, Brother. I hear you on the money part. That is the same roadblock I keep running into. I have been stuck with only being able to do short runs with my wagon. Developed a radiator leak a few months ago. I thought, "no big deal". but then I tried to find a new one. I have been out of the classic car hobby a little long. 12 years ago. You could go to Autozone and pick up an OEM Modine radiator for your old Chevy for maybe $150.00. Not NO MO! Now you can only get at the A.Z. and others these aluminlum core with plastic tanks garbage for that kind of money. To get an OEM radiator I could only find them through ordering from one of the restoration parts places for around $600.00. WTH???!!! This hobby has changed. Not sure what I am going to do. I cannot even find a good used one around. I do not think mine is fixable. So it is just short runs for me for now. :mad:

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did a little digging through the trash in the El Camino, found this, wires still connected...wonder if it works :D

An update, this is actually a Ford part, has the Ford logo and part number on it. Sure looks to be the same as the GM radio.

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
Thanks Bob, there is just a bunch of small dents and the rear wheel opening repair from a tire falling off. The lower control arm is also bent. The interior needs carpet and headliner, both missing. Sweep dash with a factory clock, bench seats that need reupholstered. The air defector and luggage rack are both in great shape. I will need the left rear pedestal, this one is broken.
Were the rear frame braces standard on wagons? it was just a 350/th350 with a 10 bolt but has the braces :confused:

I see you got your rear brakes on, the rear end is looking good :thumbsup:
what pedestal is broke?
and the braces came on all wagons just like elcaminos. on the cars, it would have had to have been ordered with the f41 suspension but not wagons.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
what pedestal is broke?
and the braces came on all wagons just like elcaminos. on the cars, it would have had to have been ordered with the f41 suspension but not wagons.
Drivers side rear, have not been able to find one. Ran across a 68 B body wagon, the roof rack appears to be the same. Car is rusting into the earth but it or nothing on it are for sale :)

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
Well I am 0 for 2 on the emblems. They are new and beautiful, but the first mistake made was the auction was for 2 now I have 4, second mistake and this is a big one the emblems for a Concours Estate (as they were listed) apparently mount different than the Concours. Although they appear the same, are the same size the mounting studs are in the wrong place and there are 3 not 4.

why are wagon parts so difficult I need to learn more about them quick before I spend all the project money on the wrong parts :pout:
actually, the earlier pre 71 emblems have different holes, same thing with the nomad emblems, i cant remember when the change was. i dont think it has anything to do with estate or not, it is the year. i think it was when they changed them from the fenders to the quarters. damn i am loosing some of this knowledge. I should have written the book on wagons 10 years ago. I have a box of emblems.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will soon be ordering some parts from you Pete. Going to need all the wagon specific weather stripping. I'll let you know what other items will be needed too. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I am just stumbling along trying to learn, a lot different from all the Malibu's I have owned.

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
No prob, I wish I had put more info on my web site like the differences about those emblems. I have binders of notes, pictures and documentation about 68-72 wagons only. I love them so much. i have had so many so I got the first hand knowledge of all the factory differences. its funny my uncle retired from gm he built a lot of the wagons himself at the plant. he had a unique job, he filled in for people when they were out so he got to fill in all the different assembly jobs. which means he did every assembly job there at some point.
you know i just commented a while ago about the braces that go from the upper to the lower rear control arms and i cant speak for 68. I have had a lot of wagons but never a 68. i do know about many of the differences that only the 68 has because it was the first year of the new body style and they worked out a lot of things by 69. so most of the time people will lump 68-and 69 parts together or even 68-72 and it is not always the case.
I am still working here near midnight on the east coast. I have a huge 6 month project i am cough up on so i have not been able to participate here as much as i want. thanks for some of the other guys jumping in there and answering questions and moderators for policing things. Wagons are my fondest hobby and i will be back on my projects and posting again soon. that's what keeps me going. its killing me right now, i drive my chopped chevelle everyday because my wagon's motor needs work and gets worse gas millage then my 10 mile to the gallon chevelle, but anyway i was saying it is killing me because my rear brakes need changing ans i want to take the opportunity to change the rear and convert it to discs and an aluminum drive shaft, but then why should i do that when i want to swap the entire frame with one that i built for it that is boxed and galvanized, then i get stuck with well i want to put the 2012 camaro ss motor in to get the power and mileage and it goes on and on, and i don't have time for any of it! ahhhhhhhh. guess I'll just pay a guy to change my brakes! ha ha i tend to ramble late at night when i have been putting in 90 hours a week. so that's all from me.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well very little has been done on the wagon, well actually nothing except to fill it up with Nova parts. Can not believe it has been here for over 18 months with no progress. Today however it has moved inside the shop. This move should be the motivation needed to start working on it. I was able to get under it for the first time and everything looks good except the storage well which will need replaced and the spare tire well that appears to be repairable.
The baby LS motor is gone, the LT1 is gone, both 4L60E transmissions are gone, the 700R4 is gone but replaced by a performance built one with a polished case (PO of the trans had too much extra time to fill). Have two 454 engines, one will be built the other sold. Probably sell the one with the steel crank and "thumb" rods as it will bring more money. The new engine plan is to build a 468 that can make lots of low end torque and run on regular gas. The Nova needs premium and that gets expensive on long trips.
Tomorrow all the parts that have been stored in the car need to come out so work can progress. Not sure were to start. Probably try to straighten some of the minor dings in the fenders and doors. That is mostly labor very little expense and will need to be done at some point.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The baby LS motor is gone, the LT1 is gone, both 4L60E transmissions are gone, the 700R4 is gone but replaced by a performance built one with a polished case (PO of the trans had too much extra time to fill).

Why no more LS...???

That guy had some time on his hands...that that is one slick lookin' 700 though...

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It is pretty but no one will ever see it under the wagon :D
The LS style motor was a 4.8L which would have been fine to power the wagon around, not building a race car, just a cruiser. My expertise in these types of motors is poor now and even worse when the purchase was made. After checking the part numbers on various components it was discovered that I had purchased a bunch of parts that did not match. The engine was a 4.8L from an 04 Tahoe, the injectors and PCM were from a 6.0L out of an 06 truck. I did not get a throttle pedal or sensor, TAC module or harness, no fuel rails, crossover or pressure regulator and the PCM was not capable of drive by wire if I wanted to do a passenger car intake. Adding up the cost to actually have it installed and running was more that I wanted to spend. I got lucky and sold the engine and trans separately and recovered my money. If the opportunity to buy an LS powered vehicle for the right money comes along I still may go that route because then everything needed will be available and all match.
The sad part is the guy that sold me the set up took the 4.8L out of the Tahoe and put a 6.0L in it. He used the 4.8L PCM, injectors and fuel rails. He told me had problems with the truck not running right after the install and the MIL was on. Not sure if he ever got it figured out. Had I known before the purchase I could have saved myself a lot of time and aggravation.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Thats the first Flame Orange wagon Ive seen ,I have a Flame Orange El Camino and love the color . I would love to have a wagon one day.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can you post a photo of your El Camino, would like to see it. It was my understanding that the Flame Orange Metallic color was an extra cost option, is that true? I like the color too and will stay with the it. Interior, what is left of it, is black.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Unfortunately I cant post or e mail pictures due my my internet connection not cooperating .I dont know if it was an extra cost option or not but it is a unique color and gets lots of attention whenever it gets out which isnt often .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here is a pic of my flame orange metallic 72 GS. I've never seen a wagon done in this color, I think it would look great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Here's an Elky pic from Dale's site...looks a lot like John's.

21 - 40 of 990 Posts