Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1972 Chevrolet Chevelle | eBay

I posted an ad a couple days ago about a 68 Chevelle, but decided against it mostly because of the engine that was with it. I have since stumbled upon this 72 Chevelle that appears to be in pretty decent condition. The seller claims he bought it from a warehouse in which the owner of the warehouse stopped making their payments. If this is indeed true, I believe the car might be a pretty decent deal. Its hard to get a firm grasp from the pictures, but everything about the car appears to be in decent condition. The car definitely needs some tlc, but that's fine as I am looking for a project car to delve into the hobby. I have not owned any old muscle cars in my life, so this would be my first. I have been into cars and boats, especially muscle cars my entire life, and have taken a couple auto classes so I'm not a complete novice and I am definitely interested in getting into the hobby.

What are your guys opinions on this vehicle?
Is it a decently priced vehicle for whats pictured?
Would this be a decent car to enter the hobby with?

Thanks for all your help, and I hope to join the Chevelle team soon :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If I recall the 68 was in the San Francisco Bay Area, this car is in Massachusetts, you didn't include where you live in your profile. Are you searching nationwide? What is your tolerance for buying a car sight unseen? Personally, I'd never buy a car under the circumstances you describe at the beginning of this thread from a state where rusty cars are so prevalent.

Steve R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I live in Central California, but I am willing to search nationwide and pay for shipping if its a good deal and a suitable car. I have gone ahead and hired an inspector to check out the 72 chevelle, but figured I'd also post it on the forums here to get some opinions from the Chevelle experts :) . Just like Steve R mentioned, rust is one of my big concerns as its a Massachusetts vehicle. I am hoping the inspector will be able to give me a better idea on how rusty the vehicle actually is.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I live in Central California, but I am willing to search nationwide and pay for shipping if its a good deal and a suitable car. I have gone ahead and hired an inspector to check out the 72 chevelle, but figured I'd also post it on the forums here to get some opinions from the Chevelle experts :) . Just like Steve R mentioned, rust is one of my big concerns as its a Massachusetts vehicle. I am hoping the inspector will be able to give me a better idea on how rusty the vehicle actually is.
I would concentrate on cars that are closer. Granted, you will find nice cars everywhere, you live in an area where cars usually have little rust. Cars tend to sell at a premium in California, but that can be offset by not having to pay shipping or inspection costs, besides you will have added piece of mind.

Does your search technique go beyond cars that are advertised? I've always found that word of mouth works really well and is often overlooked. Go to YouTube and watch a couple of "a arm Find Hunter" videos with Tom Cotter. If you are patient and persistent you will find something.

Good luck in your search.

Steve R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will look into the "a arm Find Hunter" videos with Tom Cotter. Yeah I noticed cars were always a little bit more expensive here in California, which is why I opened up my search nationwide. Unfortunately my current search only involves cars that are advertised. I am always open for "word of mouth" suggestions, but I am a Software Developer, so my close network of acquaintances are not very involved with vehicles :( .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just noticed that Steve R is located in San Francisco bay area. I will open the "word of mouth" to you Mr. Steve R on any chance you stumble upon a suitable Chevelle. I am a huge fan of the Chevelle series as a whole, so pretty much any model before 72 is acceptable. My favorite year, however, is 69. I just think the 69 Chevelles are SUPER hot. Thanks again for all your help.

Kane

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
are you looking for something that needs resto or a chevelle already completed ! theres a 72 chevelle 350 running project in santa maria 7500 on cl, are looking for a big block or sbc

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
69 Chevelle in Lancaster 12000 on cl sounds like he is willing to negotiate ! might me worth it to take a look ! another 69 in orange county looks pretty clean 16500 also sounds negotiable .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
b&b's69: I am indeed looking for something that needs restoration. That being said, this will be my first restoration project, so I have heard its best to get a project that currently runs and not something that needs a lot of work to even get running. I would also like to do as much of the work myself as possible, so the least amount of body work needed the better. As for engines, right now a 350 is definitely suitable. My end goal down the road is to install a 454 bbc, but seeing as my goal is to have this vehicle for a LONG time, the 454 swap can happen long down the road so engine is not a big deal right now. I'm mostly just avoiding engines that have already been heavily modified. I will take a look at the chevelles you mentioned once I am off of work. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
14,986 Posts
January is the month of car auctions in scottsdale. Check out the cars registered and bring your piggy bank. Just remember not every car sells for crazy prices. The tue, wed, thursday daytime cars usually go for less money at barrett jackson. Theres mecums and Russo too. My friend has two cars going across the block on sunday afternoon. 66 454 4 speed 12 bolt chevelle and a 71 454 4 speed 12 bolt chevelle. Jim

Reactions: Steve R
1 - 11 of 11 Posts